Apple wired mouse cursor jumping (MacOSX 10.6.11)

For the last months the cursor of my MacPro is jumping suddenly once the mouse is manually moved. The mouse is 14 years old and had been cleaned inside several times by myself. I mention this since I am not sure as to whether there is a connection between the current problem and the last repair.

Thanks for any helpful advice.

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 4:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 2:00 AM

After more than 24 h of test run with two other mice (Logitech) I realized that there is no cursor jumping any longer. So, herewith I confirm that advice No 1 of ku4hx is the solution of the/my problem.

Thank you for the discussion, guys.

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 4, 2023 6:52 AM in response to ku4hx

Thank you, ku4hx.

I still hesitate to believe that I should follow your advice No. 1. OK, finally I will do it at any rate. However, if you check other jumping cursor discussions in the net it becomes obvious that the age is not the problem, the mouse model (wired or bluetooth) is not the problem. Likewise, touchpads might cause the same problem.

Therefore, my question is: Could it be a software issue and how to fix it?

Oct 4, 2023 7:31 AM in response to Koselitz

Is this a mouse with a roller ball underneath instead of a laser? If so, the ball gets dirty—most people know that—but the three little rollers that detect the ball's movement get even dirtier and most people fail to notice. This has been the #1 cause of jumpiness in mice in my nearly 40 years of using personal computers.

If a laser mouse, it has little low-friction pads on the bottom. Just a little muck on those will cause jumping.

Is the mouse pad flat? My laser mice get jumpy if I don't notice that one end is partly off the keyboard tray and slightly curved.

Oct 4, 2023 7:58 AM in response to Koselitz

It's your mouse. You asked for an opinion on a worldwide platform and I gave you mine. You are free to do whatever you wish with your property. In fact I insist on that ... please.

Apparently you already know what the tech problem so I further suggest you just do whatever you feel is best suited for you.

My experience is a mouse is like a roll of toilet paper ... you need to have more than one and don't expect it to last forever.

Good luck.

Apple wired mouse cursor jumping (MacOSX 10.6.11)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.