Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Unable to update late 2013 MacBook Pro that has OS X El Capitan

Is upgrading from El Capitan to something else that difficult or should it be left alone. I believe that I found some comments online that Apple does not support El Capitan any longer? Would going to an Apple store be of any help?

I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz intel Core i5 that has OS X El Capitan. Apple support says there is no update. Should I attempt to switch to Mojave?

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 10:05 AM

It's not difficult. El Capitan is quite antiquated at this point, and many websites and email services will require something more recent.

To upgrade your Mac please read How to download and install macOS - Apple Support.

3 replies

Oct 4, 2023 10:06 AM in response to INapple57

Personally I would upgrade to Big Sur (the latest upgrade possible for a late 2013 MacBook Pro) but be aware of the following.

Be aware that if you upgrade to Catalina 10.15 or later you will also need to update any non-Apple 32-bit apps. See: https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/

or

https://www.macworld.com/article/232735/how-to-check-if-mac-software-is-32-or-64-bit.html

A late 2013 MacBook Pro can be upgraded to the latest version of Big Sur macOS 11 or earlier but no later. See: How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

Oct 4, 2023 10:15 AM in response to INapple57

Also you should know that the boot drive format changes dramatically between what you are running now and Big Sur. you may want to upgrade step by step to be sure everything can transition happily.

if you make too big a leap, the symptom will be that its can not find a suitable DRIVE to install not. If that happens, Don't panic, just try a slightly older version FIRST.

Unable to update late 2013 MacBook Pro that has OS X El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.