Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud popup with a very old email Apple ID

I keep getting a pop up for a very old Apple ID (on my MacBook)..the Apple ID its asking for has been defunct for at least 5 years...this just started recently so not sure what's causing it and how to stop it...very annoying

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 1:04 PM

7 replies

Oct 7, 2023 7:05 PM in response to pajomo

See the article Change Passwords preferences in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Remove the old user name ( the old Apple ID that is being suggested when you sign in at www.icloud.com )

The old user name and its password is filled using autofill feature , it can also be removed from keychain access ( but avoided ) unless you consult with senior apple care advisor Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support ( this is applied when you are using a single Mac and no other devices iPhone / iPad are still synced ) .

Open keychain access , using Mac spotlight , click on iCloud under login category and type your old mail address in keychain access spotlight , it will display the old mail address , right click over it and delete see Manage passwords using keychains on Mac - Apple Support

Oct 6, 2023 1:25 PM in response to Jmanna13

Hi...I'm signed into apple iCloud with my current account...which has been my account for years...I've tried to find where this ancient account is, but there is no recognition anywhere that it is around...so it's a phantom account that somehow after recent updates from Apple have made a resurgence

Oct 6, 2023 1:31 PM in response to pajomo

Hey there pajomo,

What is the content of the popup you are seeing? This information can help the community get you pointed in the right direction. For instance, if the popup makes mention of updating an app, it is likely you have an app installed that was purchased or installed from the App Store using the old ID. You would then need to uninstall the app and install or purchase it again using your current ID.

Have a good one!

Oct 7, 2023 1:46 PM in response to Chris_C1

Hi...it is asking me to sign into my iCloud account, just like the regular iCloud sign in that you would get if you had signed out of iCloud. It has a populated defunct email and asks me to fill in the password. I am signed into iCloud with my current iCloud account....this email has been defunct for at least 8 years....

Oct 7, 2023 2:05 PM in response to pajomo

Hi pajomo,

We suggest checking to see if it's added as a Mail account by opening Mail and then choosing Mail > Accounts from the menu bar.

Additionally, you may want to check FaceTime / Messages by opening each app and then clicking Messages/FaceTime > Settings from the menu bar.

We hope that helps.

Take care.

iCloud popup with a very old email Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.