Mac Studio gets very hot in sleep-mode

Mac Studio gets very hot in sleep-mode. This is a problem. It costs a lot of power. Last time Apple saying about use 100% green energy in data-centers.... now, possible, i know how....! My question is - Passably ( just in theory ) if WE paying the cost of power for apple servers computing? And if "just IF" no, as we still pay for this big issue, and apple know about this (old) issue.

1 year before question from apple forum-:

" Mac Studio gets very hot in sleep-mode. Do you have any tip? This is a problem. It costs a lot of power and we will pay rogue stats. "

This way i ask if apple steal power from our houses? ( i mean many - computing of servers workload on our hardware, and is biggest cost in industry ). Because my NEW mac studio is very hot when I not in my office and this is a night.... a strange coincidence is't it? that brought up this question. and so it has been for quite some time.

Remember is just a question and not accusation ( for now ).

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 2:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2024 12:58 AM

Just replying here for future versions of me looking for a solution.

This has been driving me nuts with my intel Mac Mini (2018)

Put the machine to sleep and within a few hours you can fry an egg on it.

It is mentioned above briefly, but the problem is Chromium based browsers. Chrome, Chromium, Brave, Edge etc.

They prevent sleep. So the machine goes to sleep mode and the fan turns off, but the browser keeps plodding away, slowly frying the internals. Kernel_task can only help so much.

Close down these browsers before sleep and your machine will stay ice cool.

Hope it helps.

Let's hope my machine is not screwed thanks to the prolonged excessive heat. Of course Apple don't care if its an Intel system...

If in doubt, check the activity monitor, look in energy and look for any apps preventing sleep. It isn;t just these browsers that do this.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2024 12:58 AM in response to tonyfromweybridge

Just replying here for future versions of me looking for a solution.

This has been driving me nuts with my intel Mac Mini (2018)

Put the machine to sleep and within a few hours you can fry an egg on it.

It is mentioned above briefly, but the problem is Chromium based browsers. Chrome, Chromium, Brave, Edge etc.

They prevent sleep. So the machine goes to sleep mode and the fan turns off, but the browser keeps plodding away, slowly frying the internals. Kernel_task can only help so much.

Close down these browsers before sleep and your machine will stay ice cool.

Hope it helps.

Let's hope my machine is not screwed thanks to the prolonged excessive heat. Of course Apple don't care if its an Intel system...

If in doubt, check the activity monitor, look in energy and look for any apps preventing sleep. It isn;t just these browsers that do this.

Jan 11, 2024 8:21 AM in response to Ruslan_Kov

Russin_Kov

You should take seriously den.thed suggestion to disable sleep.

The fans shut off, but the computer wakes up and does work anyway.

if you need your computer to be awake and ready at a certain time, you can set a wake-up call for that time. This feature USED TO BE available in a control panel, but has moved into Terminal command only.

Schedule your Mac to turn on or off in Terminal - Apple Support

Jan 10, 2024 8:35 AM in response to tonyfromweybridge

tonyfromweybridge--

google Chrome is the biggest resource hog that is not obviously malware. I suggest you NOT leave it running. Iin fact if you could switch to a different Browser altogether, that would be better.

By far the easiest way to cause poor performance, instability, overheating and crashing is to install ANY third-party speeder-uppers, Cleaners, Optimizers, or Virus scanners. or a VPN that you installed yourself. The main reason is that they are relentless in scanning your files, non-stop, looking for things virus-like patterns in Everything. When completed, they do it all again.

Third-party file Sync-ers such as DropBox, BackBlaze, OneDrive, or GoogleDrive can ruin performance.

If your Mac is using Dark Wake, they will start scanning the files on your Mac and the files on their store on the internet, non-stop, and run up the electric bill. MANY vexing problems around wake-from-sleep have proved so intractable, senior contributors here are advising to turn off those features, and Shutdown your Mac at the end of the day.

Oct 4, 2023 8:48 PM in response to Ruslan_Kov

I think something must be running or failing during sleep.

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Thanks for Old Toad’s etrecheck instructions…

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255121100?answerId=259529290022#259529290022

Use the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Jan 10, 2024 6:57 AM in response to tonyfromweybridge

I think something must be running or failing during sleep.

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Thanks for Old Toad’s etrecheck instructions…

Slow iMac 2017 - Apple Community

Use the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

(0)

Jan 10, 2024 6:33 AM in response to Ruslan_Kov

I have a Mac Studio M1 Max and for the last 3 months I've been encountering random shut downs. I've tried "EVERYTHING" to find the issue. ( Another Post HERE regarding this )

I live in a warm climate (Bali) and a friend suggested the thermal paste might need replacing which prompted me to add TG Pro to monitor the heat.

On Idle it runs at 41c ( With a huge external fan blowing on it) - and can quickly go up to 59c if I'm running a program like after effects.

My Question to you is how hot is Hot for a Mac Studio ?

In the specs on the apple site the Operating temperature is 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)?

Thanks In Advance

Oct 4, 2023 4:18 PM in response to Ruslan_Kov

A Mac Studio runs very cool even under load. You can go into your Utilities folder and activity monitor to see what is running. You may have some program running but I doubt it would cause the heat issue. You may have a hardware issue with your Mac like the fan not operating correctly. You can also disconnect from your internet and/or server and see if you run cooler. Apple is not doing anything during at night that would cause the heat issue.

Oct 4, 2023 4:24 PM in response to tbirdvet

“A Mac Studio runs very cool even under load” - it’s true, and I am impressed. but the problem is hot computer in deep night when I not touch him like two or three days and I am physically in other place. In this case cooler not work (of course) and computer look like in sleep mode but because it’s hot I understand it make some work.

Oct 10, 2023 12:26 AM in response to Ruslan_Kov

No since in that case. It’s not a server, DB etc. ( New computer )

Sleep mode actually exist exactly for fast starting , Apple computer starts very slow from full restarting. Every laptop, PC and phone can sleep with no problems, including my macbook which i so love❤️ . same problem with my apple tv, not so hot like mac studio but worm (when sleeping). Maybe the problem with power adapters which need chanting work mode when computer in sleep mode, and cullers are off. But because it’s happening only wen i’m not in same place (i use apple watch an iphone with location sharing on), i think my mac studio do some work. for more context: cloud and desktop synchronization is completely ready and network (it’s turned on in sleep mode settings) can’t be so impactful.

Oct 10, 2023 12:58 AM in response to Ruslan_Kov

And since I'm not a hater oh Apple, and tired of Samsung bugs (especially in the app of my bank that might not work after each update for a month or more, I bought a bunch of apple gadgets in a very short time (transferred the whole family from Samsung to apple), and was pleasantly surprised that apple tests applications before uploading to the market and they work perfectly. There are few comments on the system and in general I really like apple products. I sincerely love this company and recommend it to everyone! I hope my post about mac studio will be perceived as an objective criticism and a question and not an evil hate. after all, it will not be pleasant if it is not corrected or reported an error in the hardware so that people know about it and do not spend energy for nothing. And yes, it may well be that the reason is something else and apple is not to blame. I'll take the measurements again, compare them with the same machines of friends and i’ll write out it here. Good luck to everyone!

Jan 10, 2024 7:27 AM in response to tonyfromweybridge

Great, looks like possibly Spotlight, could try rebuiling the Spotlight DB...

Start with this of M1 or M2 Mac...

On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down.

Wait for your Mac to shut down completely. A Mac is completely shut down when the screen is black and any lights (including in the Touch Bar) are off.

Press and hold the power button on your Mac until “Loading startup options” appears.

Select a volume.

Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.

The computer restarts automatically. When the login window appears, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Does the problem occur in Safe Mode? 

Restart normally.

How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac

If searching your Mac doesn’t return expected results, rebuilding the Spotlight index might help.

Choose Apple menu () > System Preferences, then click Spotlight.

Click the Privacy tab.

Drag the folder or disk that you want to index again to the list of locations that Spotlight is prevented from searching. Or click the Add (+) button and select the folder or disk to add.

To add an item to the Privacy tab, you must have ownership permissions for that item. To learn about permissions, choose Help from the Finder menu bar, then search for “permissions.”

From the same list of locations, select the folder or disk that you just added. Then click the Remove (–) button to remove it from the list.

Quit System Preferences. Spotlight will reindex the contents of the folder or disk.

If still not working...

Manually Rebuilding Spotlight via Terminal

If the aforementioned Spotlight control panel approach doesn’t spur a reindexation of the drive, you may need to initiate it manually through the command line. Open Terminal and use the following command string to do so:

sudo mdutil -E /

This basically asks for temporary super user status, which is why Terminal may ask you for your password (it may not if you’ve used a sudo command recently or are already logged in as a super user or root. The command asks the unix tool mdutil to reindex the spotlight database for everything on the computer, including external drives, mounted disk images, etc. To re-index only for a specific drive, use the /Volumes path. For example, for an external drive named “MiniMe,” the command would look like this:

sudo mdutil -i on /

Rebuilding a drive index can take a long time, so be prepared to wait whether you do it through the System Preference panel or the command line.

If still need be…

Open Terminal and run each of these one at a time

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

sudo /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -seed -lint -r -f -v -dump -domain local -domain system -domain user -domain network

killall Dock

sudo mdutil -E /

sudo mdutil -i on /

Rebuilding a drive index can take a long time, so be prepared to wait whether you do it through the System Preference panel or the command line.

Jan 11, 2024 5:14 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks Grant, appreciate your time.

You also chipped in on my original post regarding the crashes so appreciate your efforts.

I'm now starting to believe my problem is just a climate issue. I live in Bali and it's super hot here during the day. I've just moved my desk to outside where there is more air flow ( not much ) however since i've installed the temp app I have been monitoring the conditions.

During the day it averages 41c - I worked through the night last night and it dropped to 38c during the night as it was much cooler and the Mac was cold to touch. I've also had an exterior fan blowing on the Mac at close range. So far no crashes. ( Hoorah!)

I have a feeling there might be a lot of dust in the unit too - not sure how to tackle that one as I don't want to open it up. Maybe some Air in a can might help

If anything changes ill be sure to post -

Thanks again

Mac Studio gets very hot in sleep-mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.