Why are photos taking up memory space on Mac when iCloud Photos is on as is space optimization?

I can no longer see updated photos from my phone on my Mac. The storage on my MacBook Air is full (mostly with photos). I have iCloud Photos enabled and space optimization toggled on. How do I get these off my MacBook without deleting them from iCloud?

Also, this is a new MacBook Air that has never been enabled to store photos. Not sure if that is helpful info or not.

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 5:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 3:23 AM

Have you enabled "Optimise Mac Storage" in both places? There are two settings for this:

• System Settings > Your AppleID > iCloud > Optimize Mac Storage
  • Photos > Settings > iCloud > Optimize Mac Storage

Turn it on in both places, if you only enabled one of them.

How large is your Photos Library in iCloud? Even with Optimize Mac Storage enabled the optimized versions stored locally on your Mac will need local storage on your Mac, as Ralph explained. As an estimate - they may take up to 10% to 20% of the storage used in iCloud. This will depend on format of your original image files. I would not let the iCloud Photos Library get larger in iCloud than five times the size of the storage you can afford for your photos on your device with the least storage. For example, if you do not want to use more than 100 GB for photos and videos on your Mac or iPhone, keep the library in iCloud well below 500GB.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2023 3:23 AM in response to Cormie77

Have you enabled "Optimise Mac Storage" in both places? There are two settings for this:

• System Settings > Your AppleID > iCloud > Optimize Mac Storage
  • Photos > Settings > iCloud > Optimize Mac Storage

Turn it on in both places, if you only enabled one of them.

How large is your Photos Library in iCloud? Even with Optimize Mac Storage enabled the optimized versions stored locally on your Mac will need local storage on your Mac, as Ralph explained. As an estimate - they may take up to 10% to 20% of the storage used in iCloud. This will depend on format of your original image files. I would not let the iCloud Photos Library get larger in iCloud than five times the size of the storage you can afford for your photos on your device with the least storage. For example, if you do not want to use more than 100 GB for photos and videos on your Mac or iPhone, keep the library in iCloud well below 500GB.

Oct 5, 2023 2:00 AM in response to Cormie77

iCloud is a sync service, everything that you do on one device will be synced to iCloud and all other devices.

There is no practical way to use iCloud a delete some photos from only one device.

Even with optimised storage the local photos will need space, they will be smaller but they are still stored on your MacBook.

Are you talking about two different MacBooks?

You wrote:

The storage on my MacBook Air is full (mostly with photos). I have iCloud Photos enabled and space optimization toggled on.

and below you wrote:

Also, this is a new MacBook Air that has never been enabled to store photos.

One option could be to move you library to an external SSD, that will reduce the space need on you MacBook.

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

You must follow the instructions, if you pick the wrong format you will get big problems / can destroy your data.

Ralf

Why are photos taking up memory space on Mac when iCloud Photos is on as is space optimization?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.