Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Regarding restoring the existing backup

I am currently using MacBook Pro 13inch mid 2012. I have made the backup on Macbook from iPhone 13 128Gb. We are trying to restore the backup but its saying backup is corrupted. However when I made the backup it showed successful at that time. Please let us if we can retrieve back this data.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 11:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 12:57 PM

What you see on the Mac is not relevant. What the phone tells you is what you have to live with.

A corrupt file can easily look perfectly fine in Finder; the proof of it's viability is what happens when you try and use it.

If your phone is telling you the file is corrupt, there's nothing you can do about that; time to rebuild from scratch.

iPhones can also backup to iCloud ... did you by chance set that up?

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2023 12:57 PM in response to DeepakRathi

What you see on the Mac is not relevant. What the phone tells you is what you have to live with.

A corrupt file can easily look perfectly fine in Finder; the proof of it's viability is what happens when you try and use it.

If your phone is telling you the file is corrupt, there's nothing you can do about that; time to rebuild from scratch.

iPhones can also backup to iCloud ... did you by chance set that up?

Oct 5, 2023 8:19 AM in response to DeepakRathi

I hate to say this, but... you've backed up your iPhone to a computer that is ~11 years old, including the internal hdd.

It's possible that the hdd is showing its age. This is assuming the internal drive has never been replaced.

I would boot the computer in Recovery mode and run Disk Utility First Aid and see if there might be any errors that are correctable and positively affect the performance.

There are other disk utilities that can do deeper scans on the drive. DriveDX is one that is often recommended here.

Oct 5, 2023 5:27 AM in response to ku4hx

My iphone was having some hanging issues so Apple care suggested me to backup my iPhone data on mac as Iphone was needed to be format for some software thing. I made the backup of my iPhone data on mac. It was backed up successfully. But now when I am trying to restore my backup it is showing backup is corrupt. My backup is there on the mac as it is showing on the storage. My data is very important. Kindly help me out.

Oct 5, 2023 6:27 AM in response to DeepakRathi

Delete the backup and try again. You may need to do this several times if your phone is having issues. If it continues to fail contact Apple support again.

Making and restoring a backup is not necessarily going to fix your phone's hanging issues. That sounds like a hardware problem or a problem with the phone's OS ... not the data, settings or apps on the phone which the backup replicates. The phone's issue needs to be addressed first. Then restore the backup.

Oct 5, 2023 12:40 PM in response to ku4hx

My phone was formatted by the Apple service centre. Now I have nothing left in my phone it's in factory reset condition and I am not able to restore the backup that I made earlier. It is showing backup is corrupted. But backup is available in the Mac. I can see the files in finder. What should I do to access that backup into my iPhone.

Regarding restoring the existing backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.