Sonoma freezes / crashes when playbacking videos in Quicktime

After I updated to Sonoma playbacking big video files in Quicktime freezes my M1 Macbook Pro. External screen is available, but laggy and all programs are freezed and not in use. Force Quitting programs in available but doesn't fix the freeze. Only way around is to hard boot.

Plz fix this asap.

PS. Thinking going back to Ventura if Sonoma is too buggy to use.

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 4:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2024 2:07 AM

Still having this bug with Sonoma 14.3 on BOTH my macbook pro M1 and macbook air M1.

Screen mirroring to an external monitor seems to be the culprit. If i disable it, or just disconnect the monitor, everything works fine. Issue happens with either the HDMI output of my macbook pro M1 or using a USB-C dongle with displayport.

Apple support suggested formatting my mac, but i read people here who did it without luck. I'm quite suspicious when both macs have the same issue, with very different sessions.

I think it's just a huge bug that went under Apple's radar. I suggest everyone to contact apple support and direct them to this thread.

I have quicktime, VLC, youtube in picture in picture mode and the Playstation remote play app crashing really fast here.

123 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2024 2:07 AM in response to MacGyverTosh

Still having this bug with Sonoma 14.3 on BOTH my macbook pro M1 and macbook air M1.

Screen mirroring to an external monitor seems to be the culprit. If i disable it, or just disconnect the monitor, everything works fine. Issue happens with either the HDMI output of my macbook pro M1 or using a USB-C dongle with displayport.

Apple support suggested formatting my mac, but i read people here who did it without luck. I'm quite suspicious when both macs have the same issue, with very different sessions.

I think it's just a huge bug that went under Apple's radar. I suggest everyone to contact apple support and direct them to this thread.

I have quicktime, VLC, youtube in picture in picture mode and the Playstation remote play app crashing really fast here.

Dec 12, 2023 3:51 AM in response to joe_macfuntime

Unfortunately the bug is still present with Sonoma 14.2. In my case I have a Samsung 4K TV connected as a second monitor to my Mac Mini. After some time running a mp4 file with Quicktime everything freezes. As soon as I remove the connection to the TV the freezing stops. Notes: (1) the TV doesn't even need to be on: only connected. (2) The TV is connected via HDMI (no USB-C to HDMI adaptor). The first monitor (DELL 4K)is connected via USB-C to Display-port cable.

Dec 20, 2023 7:35 AM in response to MacGyverTosh

Happening for me on 14.2.1. Everything locks up when playing mp4 in QT and OS will crash out to login page if left alone for ~30 seconds or so. (no other apps running) Unplugging the HDMI monitor before the crash wakes everything back up and avoids the crash but as is, I cannot play the videos with HDMI connected.

(PS: I opened a bug report with Apple)

Oct 31, 2023 5:43 AM in response to stoniques

As far as I'm concerned, the problem only appears when I'm watching a video with QuickTime. That is to say, DIRECTLY with the app open OR in preview (space key) in the Finder.

Since I first noticed this (extremely annoying) problem, I open all my videos with VLC. Since then... the problem has gone away. Having said that, not having to use QuickTime is not a bug resolution in my opinion (and even then... I'm being kind when I say "bug". We're still talking about a complete machine crash here!!!! 😡)

Also (I share my experience), on my side, the problem ALWAYS manifests itself by the video freezing (but the sound continues), then a progressive blocking of ALL THE MAC!

It's impossible to unblock anything. Once the video is frozen, it's certain that within ~1 to 1.5 minutes, the Mac will crash completely, then reboot...

Note that my Mac was affected by the "Pink Screen of the death" when it was new! This bug has been resolved by an update to macOS (Pink Screen and Restarting on M1 MacBook … - Apple Community)

Please Apple -> Resolve this rapidly…

I have buy an expensive Hadwarve (Mac), EXCTLY, so I don't have the problems of the PC world on my Mac!!!!

Jan 22, 2024 11:40 PM in response to skogskant

The problem is as follows. It occurs when BOTH of the following conditions are met:

1) The Mac is connected to an external monitor (in HDMI), via the Apple multiport AV adapter.

2) The external display is set to "Mirror" (video recopy), in the "System settings".

I work around the bug by setting the external monitor to "Main Screen".

I've had NO system cash for ~1 month with this TEMPORARY solution!

APPLE CLEARLY NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING!

Oct 27, 2023 9:34 AM in response to RomanP_Berlin

That's not really a suitable solution. This wasn't a problem for me before the Sonoma update, so they need to fix it. Did they say what 3rd party app? Rather than completely creating a new account on your machine.. and doing all that work, surely they'd be able to prove the 3rd party app was at fault by you simply removing it? Also, if a 3rd party app is even able to hang the entire operating system, that's still an OS problem to fix. The 3rd party app should crash cleanly, the OS will tell the user it's crashed and then the vendor can update it after they receive the crash reports.

Sonoma freezes / crashes when playbacking videos in Quicktime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.