Siri lost her voice

For several months now, Siri does not given spoken response to my requests. She will give written responses but not spoken. This is only on my phone. Siri works normally on my iPad and on my MacBook Pro. This started with my iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16. I now have an iPhone 15, IOS 17, and I still have the problem. I have already tried all the normal solutions in Settings. Siri is set to prefer spoken responses, to speak even when the screen is locked. I have tried different voices. When I ask, Siri says (written) she is speaking as loudly as she can. None of this makes any difference. What can I do to restore Siri’s voice on my iPhone?

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 3:06 AM

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately, I had already tried all of your suggestions, and none of them worked. However, a friend in my town gave me the answer. Start Siri, and while Siri is still running, increase the volume using the ringer buttons on the phone. Somehow, Siri’s volume had gotten turned all the way down. Which is interesting, because the volume buttons in the Settings for Siri had no effect. But at least Siri is talking to me now.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2023 3:06 AM in response to J_Johnnyboy

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately, I had already tried all of your suggestions, and none of them worked. However, a friend in my town gave me the answer. Start Siri, and while Siri is still running, increase the volume using the ringer buttons on the phone. Somehow, Siri’s volume had gotten turned all the way down. Which is interesting, because the volume buttons in the Settings for Siri had no effect. But at least Siri is talking to me now.

Oct 6, 2023 6:00 PM in response to Camping Doc

Hi Camping Doc,

To get Siri to talk, we recommend that you try the steps here: If Siri isn't working on your iPhone - Apple Support

To perform the recommended troubleshooting steps via the link above, complete the steps in the section titled "If you can't hear Siri."

1. Go to Settings.
2. Tap Siri & Search.
3. Tap Siri Responses. 
4. Tap Prefer Spoken Responses to hear Siri speak responses, even when Silent mode is turned on.

You can also change Siri's speaking volume and speed

We recommend the steps above because they will show you what to do if you can't hear Siri on your device.

If you’re still experiencing the same issue, then we recommend that you contact Apple Support directly so that they can work with you to find a solution. You can reach them by clicking here: Apple Support or calling the most local number in your region: Contact Apple for support and service. Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Siri lost her voice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.