USB C / Thunderbolt port on my MacBook Pro M1 Pro stops working if I slightly move or bump the cord connection

One of my USB C / Thunderbolt ports is having connection issues with any USB C / Thunderbolt device. When I bump or jiggle the USB C connection the connected device will stop working and then will either stay off or come back on.

I'm not sure if it is an actual hardware issue or if it just needs a deep wipe down. The port is clean from any dust or gunk accumulation, but I haven't been able to wipe it down with alcohol due to the tiny space available.

Any words of advice or wisdom?

This is on: MacBook Pro M1 Pro 2021 model, 1 year old (right out of AppleCare warranty of course), 16"

All of the other ports work fine.

Please ask any questions if you have any.

Thank you!

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 9:37 AM

You're welcome. 🙂

I doubt it's a matter that can be remedied with an alcohol wipe, though you might try a shot or two of electronic contact cleaner from a can. Can't really hurt to try.

Laptop ports can be easily damaged by dropping or a sharp tug on an attached cable. The solder joints on the logic board crack and the damage is done.

The good news is that a skilled tech may be able to repair that sort of damage. The bad new is that Apple or an authorized service provider would likely not do that repair but rather replace the logic board.

Good luck, my friend. 🍀

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2023 9:37 AM in response to timmbs

You're welcome. 🙂

I doubt it's a matter that can be remedied with an alcohol wipe, though you might try a shot or two of electronic contact cleaner from a can. Can't really hurt to try.

Laptop ports can be easily damaged by dropping or a sharp tug on an attached cable. The solder joints on the logic board crack and the damage is done.

The good news is that a skilled tech may be able to repair that sort of damage. The bad new is that Apple or an authorized service provider would likely not do that repair but rather replace the logic board.

Good luck, my friend. 🍀

Oct 5, 2023 9:09 AM in response to timmbs

Sounds to me like hardware issue.. possibly the cable or the connector.

Replace the connecting cable with another quality cable.

If that does not resolve the issue, consider having the computer evaluated for repair of a damaged port. They aren't terribly robust and are subject to being damaged.

If you would like to make a Genius Bar appointment for hardware/software service and support use this link –

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

For Apple service and repair locations:

Find Locations

USB C / Thunderbolt port on my MacBook Pro M1 Pro stops working if I slightly move or bump the cord connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.