Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

how to update IOS 12 to 13?

I cannot download a new app because need to update IOS. Please help me with this matter. Thank you.

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 6:25 PM

An iPhone 6 can't be updated beyond 12.5.7, it doesn't have the hardware needed to run anything higher.

If you need a higher iOS version, you will have to purchase a newer phone.

To update to 12.5.7 -

Go to Settings > General > Software Update.

This link will show you how to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using WiFi -

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

This link will show you how to update using your computer -

Update iOS on iPhone - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2023 6:25 PM in response to roldan176

An iPhone 6 can't be updated beyond 12.5.7, it doesn't have the hardware needed to run anything higher.

If you need a higher iOS version, you will have to purchase a newer phone.

To update to 12.5.7 -

Go to Settings > General > Software Update.

This link will show you how to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using WiFi -

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

This link will show you how to update using your computer -

Update iOS on iPhone - Apple Support

Oct 5, 2023 6:27 PM in response to roldan176

"how to update IOS 12 to 13?: I cannot download a new app because need to update IOS. Please help me with this matter. Thank you."

-------

Updating an iPhone 6 Past iOS 12:

A. You can't.  The iPhone 6 will only install to iOS 12.5.7. See here: Update your iPhone or iPad Software if you're Experiencing Issues with Location, Date, and Time - Apple Support. And, for the note, even if you could update, only the latest version will install: iOS 16.

So, what to Try:

B. Update Using a Computer:

Have a Computer Handy? If so, try using a computer to update. Go here: Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip. If any updates are availabe, they will install, sure enough.

how to update IOS 12 to 13?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.