Removing the password from the disk

Hello, I have a problem with removing the password from the Macintosh HD drive. I forgot my password and I don't understand how to reset it, how to do it?

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 7:11 PM

Antonantonyan Said:

"Removing the password from the disk: Hello, I have a problem with removing the password from the Macintosh HD drive. I forgot my password and I don't understand how to reset it, how to do it?"

-------

Troubleshooting Firmware Password:

Seems you've forgotten the firmware password? If so, refer to the following...

Five Thoughts:

You would need to go to a local Apple Store to fix this. But, being that Apple Storesare closed for a while, you may have to wait a while. As you may be aware, the reason they are closed is due to the Coronavirus Pandemic.

• Keep a Handwritten Copy:

Once the password is recovered, then keep a hard copy of it, and store it in a location that only YOU are knowledgeable of, and only YOU have access to. Do not share this information with anyone whomsoever.

Elsewise...

• Use an Administrator Password:

This password could be that of your confused with your Administrator User. So, perhaps, this is the password of the User Account you always log into. So, use that password, instead, seeing if it works.

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for USB Ports/Keyboard) become manipulated, technically.  So, reset both on your Mac.

• Use An External Keyboard:

It Doesn't have to be Apple brand. You might need this adapter: USB-C to USB A Adapter - Apple

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2023 7:11 PM in response to Antonantonyan

Antonantonyan Said:

"Removing the password from the disk: Hello, I have a problem with removing the password from the Macintosh HD drive. I forgot my password and I don't understand how to reset it, how to do it?"

-------

Troubleshooting Firmware Password:

Seems you've forgotten the firmware password? If so, refer to the following...

Five Thoughts:

You would need to go to a local Apple Store to fix this. But, being that Apple Storesare closed for a while, you may have to wait a while. As you may be aware, the reason they are closed is due to the Coronavirus Pandemic.

• Keep a Handwritten Copy:

Once the password is recovered, then keep a hard copy of it, and store it in a location that only YOU are knowledgeable of, and only YOU have access to. Do not share this information with anyone whomsoever.

Elsewise...

• Use an Administrator Password:

This password could be that of your confused with your Administrator User. So, perhaps, this is the password of the User Account you always log into. So, use that password, instead, seeing if it works.

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for USB Ports/Keyboard) become manipulated, technically.  So, reset both on your Mac.

• Use An External Keyboard:

It Doesn't have to be Apple brand. You might need this adapter: USB-C to USB A Adapter - Apple

Removing the password from the disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.