Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot add or remove apps from the Dock - how do I enable this?

I cannot remove apps or add them to my Dock. When I click on the app, they're in the options menu: Open at Login and Show in Finder. There is no remove from Dock. I cannot drag the apps out of the Dock (even if they are not active - don't have the dot underneath). Please help.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 6:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 8:38 AM

Here is an update. Thank you all for trying to help me with this. It turns out that it was due to a setting under System Settings->Privacy and Security->Profiles. My profile was set to not be able to modify the dock. I was able to update it so that now my Dock allows adding and removing app icons.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2023 8:38 AM in response to mahongue

Here is an update. Thank you all for trying to help me with this. It turns out that it was due to a setting under System Settings->Privacy and Security->Profiles. My profile was set to not be able to modify the dock. I was able to update it so that now my Dock allows adding and removing app icons.

Oct 5, 2023 8:18 PM in response to GeeZ06

I know how to remove an app from the Dock in normal conditions :) However, the dock is not acting that way. The icons do not move when I attempt to drag them away from the dock. I assume it is locked somehow, but I don't see any System Preferences check box to check or uncheck. Perhaps there is an unlock for the Dock command in Terminal. I tried ones I found online, but I think they worked for previous MacOS versions. They don't seem to be recognized by Ventura.

Oct 6, 2023 6:35 AM in response to mahongue

mahongue, Perhaps the dock preferences is corrupted

From the Dock Finder icon menu options click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy past the following:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

Click Go then move the com.apple.dock.plist file to the Trash

Restart your Mac then try deleting app icons from the Dock.

Oct 6, 2023 9:07 AM in response to mahongue

mahongue wrote:

Here is an update. Thank you all for trying to help me with this. It turns out that it was due to a setting under System Settings->Privacy and Security->Profiles.

System Settings->Privacy and Security->Profiles are usually associated with a Company Computer or a computer enrolled in a Mobile Digital Management Service .

If that is correct - that Very Important Piece of information is crural as this would have explained Why the icon could not be removed from the Dock

MDM ( short term ) for Mobile Digital Management has Total Control on both the Computer and what can and can Not be Done on this computer

My profile was set to not be able to modify the dock. I was able to update it so that now my Dock allows adding and removing app icons.

I cannot add or remove apps from the Dock - how do I enable this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.