Sonoma Screen Sharing Slower Connection With Intel Macs, Was faster In Ventura!

Before updating my Mac Studio to Sonoma, Screen Sharing with my intel macs were faster. Is this a bug that will be fixed, or did Apple purposefully make Screen Sharing connections between Apple Silicon and Intel Macs slower, and until this issue is dealt with, is there an alternative or workaround?

Thank you!

Mac Studio, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 5:44 AM

7 replies

Oct 6, 2023 6:13 AM in response to cmgerard

I routinely screen share the following Macs to my M2 Mac Mini Pro (32 GB) over WiFi 6. I see no performance change between Ventura 13.6 and Sonoma 14.0:

1. 2011 Mac mini (16GB), macOS 10.13.6, Ethernet
  2. 2014 iMac Core i5 (32 GB), macOS 10.14.6, 802.11ac (800 - 1300 Mbps)
  3. 2020 iMac Core i7 (40 GB), macOS 12.7.9, 802.11ax (800 - 1300 Mbps)
    1. Parallels Desktop 19 with 8 cpu, 16GB, and 1GB GPU for the Windows 11 Pro guest

Even the interactive performance between the M2 mini and running Parallels Desktop Windows 11 Pro guest is quite acceptible. Router is a Synology RT6600ax. The M2 mini Pro is 20 feet distant from the 2020 iMac with dry wall between them and the router on the iMac side of that dry wall.

Oct 20, 2023 12:04 AM in response to cmgerard

I'm finding the same issue. But there's a bypass: Use RealVNC as the client. It's free and open source and connects just like Screen Sharing does.

In terms of troubleshooting, I've found some interesting things:

• With Screen Sharing, using an M2 client and an Intel server, there's no problem. (Did this on two systems, including an old one only updated to Mojave.)
  • With Screen Sharing, using M2 client and M1 server, picking the Standard option, screen updates are so slow it's useless.
  • Screen Sharing, using M1 client and M2 server, picking Standard, and it works
  • Using RealVNC from M2 to any other system is no problem

So in my case, using the M2 as a client to log in to others, it's only a problem with the M1.

Also, the first time I tried to connect to the M1, I picked the higher resolution option. While I've picked Standard every time since then, I wonder if there's a bug where it sticks with the first one I selected and is always trying to use the higher definition.

Oct 6, 2023 7:46 AM in response to cmgerard

Hey CMGERARD, unrelated but..

My File sharing stopped working somewhere along the latter updates of Ventura and they still are not working in Sonoma. I have always used SMB file sharing with my Mac and iPad/iPhone Files App.

If I use smb://192.164.1.55 with my username/password but I get an "Authentication error."

If I use the entire path for the share, smb://192.168.1.38/Users/scott, I get a "Content Not Available" error. everything looks correct ins Settings/General/Sharing/FileSharing

A senior Support Advisor was stumped (disabling Firewall, rebooting everything. etc). Could I ask how you're setting up File Sharing in Sonoma?

Oct 6, 2023 6:25 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for your quick response!

I'm glad you haven't seen any performance change between Ventura and Sonoma

Luckily the input/display lag I am experiencing since updating my M2 Max Mac Studio (64 GB) Wifi 5G from Ventura to Sonoma to my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019), Ethernet is just frustrating because I'm doing all creative projects on the Studio

Oct 6, 2023 8:35 AM in response to MRYFLYGUY

I have ideas but no concrete clue what your issue might be since I haven't done anything different than the basic Screen Sharing & SMB sharing options.

Could it be as simple as a mistyped password?

There are too many options and possibly the simplest being something you dont have control over - Sonoma has bugs not fully worked out yet.

Hope you figure out whats wrong on your end, Sorry!

May 15, 2024 6:24 PM in response to cmgerard

There is something seriously funky going on with screen sharing in Sonoma. It also affects Apple Remote Desktop and file copies with ARD.

File copies between macs on ARD before Sonoma ran at wifi speed, and was faster than copies to/from server shares. Now copies to Sonoma run at maybe 200K/sec if I am lucky. On rare occasions it will run at full speed. I think this is a flavor of a bug that has persisted in ARD for a long time. On rare occasions, copy speeds just crawl along. However with Sonoma, that glitch happens far more often.

Screen sharing is glitchy and can lag, and have video tears if viewing video over the connection.

(I typically have one mac on a 2.4Ghz wifi SSID, and the other on a 5.8 SSID, just so there are little to no collisions, so that isn't the issue.)

Sonoma Screen Sharing Slower Connection With Intel Macs, Was faster In Ventura!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.