home sharing with separate icloud accounts

My wife and I have separate iCloud accounts. She has some music that I purchased from Apple on iTunes (a long time ago). When she syncs her phone with her computer, it will not let her sync the songs that I purchased. I have turned on Home Sharing and also allowed sharing media with guests, but she still gets that error message. We have looked in Music on her phone, but do not see a way to see the music on my computer.

Mac mini, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 7:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 11:51 AM

Home Sharing generally allows you to share content among devices with the same Apple ID.

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

Use Family Sharing instead:

What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 6, 2023 12:27 PM in response to javaliga

Thanks. I read all that before I posted. I'm not sure at this time how she got the songs I downloaded from my account onto her computer, but I'm pretty sure that at least some of them were from home sharing, even though her Apple ID is different from mine. Neither of us subscribes to Apple Music and have no desire to do so. So, that seems like an expensive proposition to sync a few songs.

Is there a way to authorize these songs on her computer by using my Apple ID now? Or is there a way to enter my Apple ID during the phone syncing process to allow them to be synced to the phone?

home sharing with separate icloud accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.