Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Move back up files from external hard drive without time machine

I had to carry out a full erasure of my macbook pro today as it was not booting. I copied the files via target disk mode using a working laptop and stored them onto an external hard drive.

The problem is that since the files were not saved via time machine, time machine does not recognise them as a back up to restore from.

I'd particularly like to copy the apps and settings to my now working laptop (the general files, I understand, I can just transfer directly in Finder) to avoid having to install everything individually so I am wondering if there is a way to do this?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 2:19 PM

Because you do not have a TM backup drive from which to restore the computer, and given the fact that you've already manually restored it to working order, you will have to also manually reset/reconfigure your Mac's settings.

As for the apps, some can simply be copied from where you put them on the external drive back into the Applications folder. Unfortunately, others will require that they be re-downloaded and/or otherwise reinstalled as if fresh, including using any registration keys that you may have been issued. This might require you to visit app websites. Others can be downloaded again from the App Store if you purchased them there.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2023 2:19 PM in response to noepse

Because you do not have a TM backup drive from which to restore the computer, and given the fact that you've already manually restored it to working order, you will have to also manually reset/reconfigure your Mac's settings.

As for the apps, some can simply be copied from where you put them on the external drive back into the Applications folder. Unfortunately, others will require that they be re-downloaded and/or otherwise reinstalled as if fresh, including using any registration keys that you may have been issued. This might require you to visit app websites. Others can be downloaded again from the App Store if you purchased them there.

Move back up files from external hard drive without time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.