Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

iPhone keyboard turns letters in5o numbers

When texting, ins4tead of typing all letters, certain letters will randomly turn into numbers, making typing a sentence take three times longer than it should. I see complaints about it all over the message boards and usually some Apple tech comes in and says something boilerplate like - “please reset your phone and your keyboard”. Please - spare us. This is clearly a bug as its been happening on six (!) phones for five years now. I just bought the iPhone Pro Max and it’s immediately happening again. Please spend less time adding “stickers” and goofy faces to your updates, and more time making the phone usable for serious people again. Th4nks.

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 6:30 AM

2 replies

Oct 8, 2023 2:33 PM in response to Brewster B

Hello Brewster B,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities about issues with your iPhone keyboard.

Start by restarting. Any change? Even for a short amount of time? Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

Next, update your iPhone. A new iOS can solve issues if it was with the operating system. The newest is iOS 17.0.3: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If it's still occurring, try using a different keyboard. If this is a third-party added keyboard, delete it, and use only the default iOS keyboard: Add or change keyboards on iPhone - Apple Support

If it's the default iOS keyboard, and still doing it with iOS 17.0.3, please contact Apple Support to dig into this further with you: Get Support

Thanks.

Oct 8, 2023 3:21 PM in response to ryane77

*eyeroll.

Why even reply if you’re not going to read the original post? This problem has been happening for years, regardless of the operating system or the model of the phone. I’m an Apple-certified systems administrator with over a decade’s experience supporting Apple software and hardware. Believe me when I tell you that this isn’t something that a restart or an update is going to fix, so please save your breath.

iPhone keyboard turns letters in5o numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.