Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Duplicate Photo Libraries

I have duplicate photo libraries and would like to combine the two into one library without creating duplicate photos. Is this possible? How would I do this? Is there a simple way to do this?

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 6:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 6:50 AM

It will depend on your system version. In macOS 12 Monterey or later you can import the photos from one library directly into another library. Photos will check for duplicates and skip the duplicates when importing, see this page in the Photos User Guide: Import photos from another library in Photos on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2023 6:50 AM in response to Frustrated6715

It will depend on your system version. In macOS 12 Monterey or later you can import the photos from one library directly into another library. Photos will check for duplicates and skip the duplicates when importing, see this page in the Photos User Guide: Import photos from another library in Photos on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Oct 7, 2023 9:07 AM in response to Frustrated6715

If you have a lot of organizational effort in both libraries, i.e. albums, titles, captions, keywords, etc., you might consider using the paid version of PowerPhotos.

Here's the differences between Photos and PowerPhotos regarding merging libraries:

PowerPhotos: Photos:

Albums ----------- = (does not provide this)

Smart Albums (as regular albums) -----------

Folders -----------

Captions Captions

Titles Titles

Original images Original images

Edited images Edited images

--------------- Locations

Favorites Favorites

Can detect and exclude Duplicates detect after import

duplicates or not during import

Neither method included projects.

Both methods could import older iPhoto libraries into a Photos library when the iPhoto library couldn't be migrated into a Photos library.

Duplicate Photo Libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.