PDF suddenly disappeared

I've been working on 3 PDF files in my iPad Pro 5th Gen for the past few weeks. I worked on one of them this morning as well.

I tried to open it again in the evening and those three PDFs were missing from my "On my iPad" folder. I checked the iCloud Drive folder and recently deleted as well.

I could see those three files in the "Recents" folder but they didn't open and even if I tried to move them it said "File does not exist". I Google searched and restarted my iPad, updated it and even hard restarted it. But then, my files disappeared from the "Recents" folder as well. These files are really important to me as I have exams coming up super soon. Please help ASAP

iPad Air, 17

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 7:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2024 11:53 AM

There is no solution for this problem; Apple just deletes PDFs through the updating. But only those files where you use Magic Pencil. Make a backup - that was the answer after two hours of walking around.

4 replies

Oct 8, 2023 3:05 PM in response to Ig4199

Hi Ig4199,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're missing 3 PDF files you had in iCloud Drive. You can try recovering them on the iCloud website by following the steps here: Recover deleted files on iCloud.com.

"On iCloud.com, you can recover files deleted from both iCloud Drive and other apps within the last 30 days, whether you deleted them on iCloud.com or another device that has iCloud Drive turned on. However, you can’t recover or restore files you permanently remove.

Recover files deleted from iCloud Drive or iWork apps

1. In iCloud Drive on iCloud.com, click Recently Deleted in the sidebar.
  2. Click Recover All, or select each file you want to recover, then click Recover.

Recover files deleted from other apps

1. On iCloud.com, click the App Launcher button in the toolbar, then click Data Recovery.
  2. Click Restore Files.
  3. Select each file you want to restore, or select Select All.
  4. Click Restore.

Look for your recovered files in the folders they were in when you deleted them. For example, if a file was in the Pages folder when you deleted it, look for the recovered file in the Pages folder."

If you need further assistance, contact Apple Support here: Get Support

Take care.

PDF suddenly disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.