iPad mini 1 couldn't go in either DFU or Recovery Mode

My iPad mini couldn't go into DFU or Recovery Mode. Its' home button is broken and I think this may include a major part in the process.

Could anyone please tell me how to put my iPad to DFU or Recovery please?(Plus, it's using iOS 10.5.2)

iPad mini (1st generation)

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 7:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 9:01 AM

It is a common misconception that an iPad (or iPhone) can remain fully functional with damaged or defective physical buttons. 

Whilst Accessibility features (such as assistive touch) can be used to augment the User Interface, these features cannot be used as a substitute for physical button sequences that must be used to trigger system recovery actions. Sooner or later, as now, you will encounter a situation from which you cannot recover.

Until repaired, you will not be able to resolve a locked-out (disabled) iPad, reset a forgotten device passcode, or restore your iPad using DFU/recovery mode.

You can arrange repair of your iPad either by (a) visiting the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - or (b) using Apple's mail-in repair service:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2023 9:01 AM in response to DevonyDexter

It is a common misconception that an iPad (or iPhone) can remain fully functional with damaged or defective physical buttons. 

Whilst Accessibility features (such as assistive touch) can be used to augment the User Interface, these features cannot be used as a substitute for physical button sequences that must be used to trigger system recovery actions. Sooner or later, as now, you will encounter a situation from which you cannot recover.

Until repaired, you will not be able to resolve a locked-out (disabled) iPad, reset a forgotten device passcode, or restore your iPad using DFU/recovery mode.

You can arrange repair of your iPad either by (a) visiting the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - or (b) using Apple's mail-in repair service:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

iPad mini 1 couldn't go in either DFU or Recovery Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.