📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail is not working with my AOL account after installing Sonoma

I have an M1 2020 MacBook Air. Mail was working fine until I installed Sonoma. Now I get no AOL mail. Google Mail is working.

I deleted AOL mail and reinstalled it. No good.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 8:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2023 2:26 PM

Any luck finding a solution on the Verizon.net email settings with Sonoma. I have the exact same problem

18 replies

Jan 8, 2024 5:56 AM in response to EACr

Solution that works for me:

1. go to the website password.aol.com sign in and generate a mail app specific password. Call it Mac Mail.
  2. copy and save the password.
  3. Use this password to create the new mail account
  4. incoming mail server= imap.aol.com. Check „automatically manage connection settings
  5. outgoing server= smtp.aol.com, don’t check the automatically manage connection settings, port 465, check use TLS/SSL

your webmail client password stays as usual.

cheers

Oct 14, 2023 5:45 AM in response to EACr

I finally called Apple support and we simply removed the AOL account and reinstalled it and everything worked. The AOL inbox did not show up in the favorite inboxes at the top of the sidebar, but it was showing under the heading AOL in the sidebar. I draggged it up to the favorite spot and it has now been as it was before Sonoma. Hope this helps.

Jan 7, 2024 10:39 AM in response to David Conley1

I have a new MacBook Air upgraded to Sonoma AOL/Verizon did not work anymore. It did on the old MacBook Air. Here is my AOL support experience:

The first agent was nice and friendly, but could not help with the correct settings for Apple Mail App to work. She connected me to the AOL Support Team. This person required me after one hour of unsuccessfully solving the issue to sign up for the Advantage Plan and pay immediately. While he then continued and put me on hold to read his manual he asked me to install the McAffe tool while all of the sudden pop up windows warned about a file that could destroy my new and pristine MacBook Air 2020 M1. This is bad business practice! I was asked to contact Apple support because it was not a AOL problem. Apple told me this is a AOL issue. Then your service told me to contact my internet provider to fix the issue. Xfinity told me this is a AOL setting issue.

I am completely disappointed in this mediocre service level of AOL. I cancelled the Advantage plan as this did not solve my issue and ask to get my money back, which he declined.

Meanwhile I figured out the correct setting and solved the issue myself. If you want the information for the Sonoma based mail app, make me an offer.

I will post the information on the AOL group for MAC on social media and help anybody who needs the info.

I hope this will help you to address the low quality level of your support team.

Sincerely

My experience as retired IBM chief executive IT Architect helped certainly.

contact me on facebook @ Werner Smolka if you would like the correct settings.

Jan 10, 2024 10:07 AM in response to EACr

Hopefully you've solved the problem by now but if not -

1. go to the aol.com sign in and enter your user name and password.
  2. go to the security page and generate a mail app specific password. Call it Mac Mail.
  3. copy and save the password.
  4. Go to Mail on your mac and add account but DON'T click AOL, click other. Enter your verizon.net email address and the app specific password you copied. Enter the info below for incoming/outgoing mail servers:

Incoming mail server (IMAP): imap.aol.com

Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.verizon.net

Good luck

Jan 11, 2024 7:13 AM in response to David Conley1

Again just wanted to thank you. Your solution has been working flawlessly. I hope many people see this. Btw I have a Verizon.net email account and ever since Verizon discontinued their email service and migrated everything to AOL, I've been having this persistent problem. I can confirm your solution works perfectly with my Verizon.net email account hosted by AOL. Thank you again.

Jul 3, 2024 12:57 PM in response to wwsmolka

I had the exact same experience with AOL support. I uncovered some additional detail when I was able to get to a senior support person. Apparently, AOL email runs off Yahoo servers. Who knew? The issue is between Yahoo and Apple. Something to do with the imap email API failing routinely.

I first started having the problem a year ago, and I thought I had solved it using the unique password for each app approach mentioned by one of the other users. But I've started having the problem again so I would like to know your solution.

I looked you up on Facebook and it seems that there are multiple Werner Smolka's. Could you provide a link to your Facebook page so I can message you? I can be reached at alec.dann on FB.

Alternatively, if you wanted to post the solution here, I'm sure others would appreciate it.

Alec

[Edited by Moderator]

Mail is not working with my AOL account after installing Sonoma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.