Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Related Article: If your Apple ID is locked or disabled

IPhone locked to owner

Please unlock my iPhone help me

iPhone 11

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 11:54 AM

thenu131 wrote:

Yes second hand

Given you are asking here and not asking the seller to resolve or refund, that usually means the seller has disappeared, and that then means you got scammed.

Activation Lock is intended as a theft deterrent, is intentionally difficult to bypass, we can’t help, and—absent sufficiently-convincing proof of ownership you didn’t get and don’t have—Apple won’t help.

Without those credentials, or without convincing proof, you bought an expensive brick.

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a used iPad/iPhone - Apple Community

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2023 11:54 AM in response to thenu131

thenu131 wrote:

Yes second hand

Given you are asking here and not asking the seller to resolve or refund, that usually means the seller has disappeared, and that then means you got scammed.

Activation Lock is intended as a theft deterrent, is intentionally difficult to bypass, we can’t help, and—absent sufficiently-convincing proof of ownership you didn’t get and don’t have—Apple won’t help.

Without those credentials, or without convincing proof, you bought an expensive brick.

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a used iPad/iPhone - Apple Community

Oct 7, 2023 12:18 PM in response to ffiscool

ffiscool wrote:

If you got it on eBay they should be able to sort it

I would not expect a refund. Not without specifically purchasing some sort of insurance from the sales platform, or from a third-party, or some sort of escrow.

The sales platform may or will block the sellers when reported of course, but I’d doubt that such blocks will reduce the frequency of fraudulent sales. (Sellers can and do get scammed with bogus fraud reports here, too.)

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/resolving-issues-sellers/avoiding-seller-fraud?id=4024

IPhone locked to owner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.