How to download audio/music files via USB from a 2010 Mac laptop to an 2017-2020 iMac desktop

My old laptop, 2010, had some important to me audio files that I saved onto a usb about 3 yrs ago. I now have a 2020 iMac desktop which I plugged my usb into & all my files show up, most as mp3 files. I can see them all & play them all but I see no way to download them as I would also like to save them to my computer & into my iCloud account so that I can also access them from my iPhone & iPad. How do I do that?

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 1:28 PM

The iMac 2010 seems irrelevant here, if the audio files are already on USB storage.

Launch Apple Music app on the new Mac, and import the audio files from the USB storage:

Import music from a computer to Music on Mac - Apple Support

4 replies

Oct 9, 2023 1:20 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thank you, MrHoffman. I opened the Music app & no where could I find a way to import music except from the iTunes Store so I tried to download from the usb drive to Music. Not an option. So I resorted to the old way of doing things; I bulk selected a group of audio files & did a ‘drag & drop’. That worked! I still don’t know why this was so difficult but I got it done.

Thanks again for responding to my question 🙋🏼‍♀️

How to download audio/music files via USB from a 2010 Mac laptop to an 2017-2020 iMac desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.