Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iPhone 15 and Google apps with text size issue, text size cannot be adjusted regardless of what you do

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all well.

I have come back to iPhone after 12 years of absence and have just setup my new iPhone 15 Pro Max. Everything has gone well except I have noticed that the Google apps that I have installed do not scale when I increase the text/font size slider. Literally all of them so Waze, Google maps, Google Calendar, Google Keep Notes, The Google App itself, Gmail, Google Chrome, etc all stay at the standard text/font size and adjusting the slider does absolutely nothing at all.

The other weird thing I noticed is I cannot adjust Safari browser text size, it does not scale with the text size slider. I even tried adjusting manually with the aA option.

I am scratching my head at this as I never had this issue ever with Android. I did some reading up on it and a few people have concluded that its got a lot to do with the developer of the apps as opposed to Apple? Is this true? I also read that Safari deliberately does not scale its text size up for website compatibility, is this true also? If not, I would dearly love to know how to fix this issue as otherwise, the phone is great and enjoying thus far.

Thanks in advance and look forward to any replies.

Arty

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 12:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 11:39 AM

Hi there ArtyT,

It sounds like the Google apps do not support Dynamic Type. Dynamic Type allows the font size you select on your iPhone to also change in other applications. Check out that information in the following article:

Change the font size on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

You can change the size of your font in Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Phone, Notes, and other apps that support Dynamic Type.

To help isolate the issue regarding Safari not increasing the text size, does the behavior happen with each website? For example, when visiting Apple.com, does the text size increase or decrease when you tap the corresponding button? See those steps here: Customize your Safari settings on iPhone - Apple Support

Change the text size for a website on Safari
Use the Page Settings button to increase or decrease the text size.
1. Open the Safari app  on your iPhone.
2. Tap the Page Settings button on the left side of the search field.
3. Tap the large A to increase the font size or the small A to decrease it.

If Apple.com is not changing as expected, then test after restarting your iPhone, as this can help clear up unexpected behavior: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

How to restart your iPhone X, 11, 12, 13, or later
1. Press and hold either volume button and the side button until the power-off slider appears.
The volume button is located on the left side of the device, and the side button is located on the right
2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.
3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button (on the right side of your iPhone) until you see the Apple logo.

Kind regards.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2023 11:39 AM in response to ArtyT

Hi there ArtyT,

It sounds like the Google apps do not support Dynamic Type. Dynamic Type allows the font size you select on your iPhone to also change in other applications. Check out that information in the following article:

Change the font size on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

You can change the size of your font in Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Phone, Notes, and other apps that support Dynamic Type.

To help isolate the issue regarding Safari not increasing the text size, does the behavior happen with each website? For example, when visiting Apple.com, does the text size increase or decrease when you tap the corresponding button? See those steps here: Customize your Safari settings on iPhone - Apple Support

Change the text size for a website on Safari
Use the Page Settings button to increase or decrease the text size.
1. Open the Safari app  on your iPhone.
2. Tap the Page Settings button on the left side of the search field.
3. Tap the large A to increase the font size or the small A to decrease it.

If Apple.com is not changing as expected, then test after restarting your iPhone, as this can help clear up unexpected behavior: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

How to restart your iPhone X, 11, 12, 13, or later
1. Press and hold either volume button and the side button until the power-off slider appears.
The volume button is located on the left side of the device, and the side button is located on the right
2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.
3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button (on the right side of your iPhone) until you see the Apple logo.

Kind regards.

iPhone 15 and Google apps with text size issue, text size cannot be adjusted regardless of what you do

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.