Time Machine needs more space

Hello,

I have not used Time Machine for a long time, but now I want to back up because of the new OS.

I get a 750GB HDD, format it and use it for Backup. After a while, there is a message: Can not complete Backups. In the Backup Tab, it says: 37.47 GB available. But my system disk total Capacity is only 500 GB with 24 GB still available.

When I look into the 750 GB HDD, I see 3 Folders in there with a Time Machine Icon, all with today's date and a long serial number after. When Get Info, it says 0 Byte on all 3 Folders.

The drive Information says 292.37 GB free. But why does it say 37.47 GB is available?

If it creates a Backup every hour and it is running out of space, then it should delete the very first backup to make room for the latest. This is how I understand how a Backup System works. Very confusing indeed.

Thank you for any help in understanding the System.

Dorian

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 1:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 2:06 AM

Would suggest Reformatting the Entire " I get a 750GB HDD " again

Understand, this method will Remove any Partitions and All the Data on that Drive.

Anything of this 750 GB Drive will be removed and never be able to retrieve any Data from that drive

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Attention to Details in the below image from that same link

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2023 2:06 AM in response to dwctv

Would suggest Reformatting the Entire " I get a 750GB HDD " again

Understand, this method will Remove any Partitions and All the Data on that Drive.

Anything of this 750 GB Drive will be removed and never be able to retrieve any Data from that drive

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Attention to Details in the below image from that same link

Oct 8, 2023 2:13 AM in response to PRP_53

Yes, I was thinking of reformatting the drive again. No problem in losing all the files.

But ever since I used Time Machine, I am running out of space. How can I set it, so that it deletes the oldest Backup to make room for the latest one?

750 GB Backup Drive for a 500GB Sys should be enough... or?

Thanks

Dorian

Oct 8, 2023 2:21 AM in response to dwctv

Internal Drive Capacity is 500 GB - right

Good practice is for the TM Backup Drive with 2 1/2 time Greater Capacity than the Internal Drive

That sized External Drive should allow for a Long Usage before it has to start and Pruning Off Older TM Snap Shots

In your situation, the 750 GB Drive if Totally Reformatted, may over time, have to work more often to delete Older Snap Shots

Oct 8, 2023 2:36 AM in response to dwctv

TM Backup is design to Delete Older Snap Shots when additional space is required on the External Drive

From my perspective, Do Not Attempt to Manually Delete Snaps Shots from the Backup Drive

Mucking around on that drive may have very serious consequences including Corrupting the TM Backup you presently have

That would effectively require ReFormatting the drive again and start from Scratch again

Time Machine needs more space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.