Reformatting MacBook Pro but need to revert back to the original OS it was shipped with

Hi, I’m using a 16-inch MacBook Pro M1 (2021). It was originally shipped with MacOS Monterey, and I had updated to Ventura later on. I have not updated it to Sonoma as of now as some apps that I’m primarily using are not yet optimised with it. I’m in the need for formatting and completely erasing my MacBook and now that macOS Sonoma is out, I’d like to know if after the reformatting process is done, would it automatically be rebooted with Sonoma installed, or Ventura 13.5.1 (which is the current version installed), or with the OS it was original shipped with (macOS Monterey). Thank you.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 3:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 5:31 AM

There isn’t a way to completely erase an Apple Silicon Mac, and Apple doesn’t provide an answer for which is will be installed. My guess is it may be Ventura. Do not stray from these instructions when erasing an Apple Silicon Mac.

Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

You might try creating a bootable USB Installer with Monterey.

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2023 5:31 AM in response to sidarthhnair

There isn’t a way to completely erase an Apple Silicon Mac, and Apple doesn’t provide an answer for which is will be installed. My guess is it may be Ventura. Do not stray from these instructions when erasing an Apple Silicon Mac.

Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

You might try creating a bootable USB Installer with Monterey.

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Oct 8, 2023 6:12 AM in response to Barney-15E

Are “Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac” and “Erase all Contents and Settings” two different things? In short, I just need to wipe the data off the Mac and have Monterey OS freshly installed which was the OS originally shipped with the Mac. Preferring Monterey after the format, because it works perfectly fine with Cubase Pro 12 that I’m currently using, Ventura seems to be having certain bugs and Sonoma isn’t optimised for the app at all yet.

Oct 8, 2023 6:25 AM in response to sidarthhnair

Are “Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac” and “Erase all Contents and Settings” two different things?

Yes. You must erase the System Volume to revert to a previous OS version. Erase all Contents and Settings only erases the Data volume and leaves the System Volume intact.

In short, I just need to wipe the data off the Mac and have Monterey OS freshly installed

The only way to revert to a previous OS version is to remove the newer version completely.

I have never attempted to revert Apple Silicon, so the only guess I have is to boot from a Bootable USB Installer of Monterey and erase the System Volume as described in the Erase disk section. You cannot keep the Data volume, either, as its storage plan for certain apps is 'upgraded' for Ventura. You will likely need to manually move your data or Migrate from a backup created when it was running Monterey.

Reformatting MacBook Pro but need to revert back to the original OS it was shipped with

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.