Lightning to hdmi adapter

I just bought this apple adapter to watch some downloaded episodes from acorn tv. I connected it and get audio but no video. Are there some settings I’m not aware of, or is Acorn tv blocking the video from being played?

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 4:23 PM

Some streaming Apps/services will not permit use of external displays. In such circumstances, while audio may be heard, you'll not see a picture.

Other potential causes are HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection), this being a Digital Rights Management (DRM) anti-piracy technology. Where implemented, all devices in HDMI chain must be HDCP-compliant. If one or more devices (such as the HDMI Adapter*, TV/Monitor or an intermediate HDMI device do not support HDCP, you'll not see a picture.

(*) Both the Apple Lightning to Digital AV Adapter and USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter do support HDCP.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2023 4:23 PM in response to kaneitzel34

Some streaming Apps/services will not permit use of external displays. In such circumstances, while audio may be heard, you'll not see a picture.

Other potential causes are HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection), this being a Digital Rights Management (DRM) anti-piracy technology. Where implemented, all devices in HDMI chain must be HDCP-compliant. If one or more devices (such as the HDMI Adapter*, TV/Monitor or an intermediate HDMI device do not support HDCP, you'll not see a picture.

(*) Both the Apple Lightning to Digital AV Adapter and USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter do support HDCP.

Jun 5, 2024 9:04 AM in response to SwelliAm

SwelliAm wrote:

I’m having the same HDCP issue using the AV adapter, but in several different apps. Disney+, Prime Video, Paramount+, etc. My TV is a 2 year old Vizio smart tv, which has apps installed and ran them fine (it is HDCP compliant)

While your TV may support HDCP, does your Lightning does the HDMI Adapter (unspecified) also support HDCP?

If any item in the connection chain does not support HDCP, the HDCP-handshake will fail - and no picture will be displayed.

Jun 5, 2024 9:36 AM in response to SwelliAm

If using HDMI from your iPad, you will need both an HDMI Adapter and an HDMI cable to connect the iPad to the monitor - or the Adapter and cable will be a single assembly in its own right.

While an HDMI cable itself is not an "active" component, the associated Adapter or and integrated Adapter/Cable is an active device that must support HDCP for display of DRM-protected digital content.

Unless the HDMI Adapter's specifications explicitly state HDCP support, it is very likely that it does not support this protocol.

Lightning to hdmi adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.