Google Chrome won't stay open.

I have a mid-2012 MBP i7 running 10.15.7, and I just replaced the HDD with a Samsung 870 EVO SSD.

All previous software/programs/browsers work perfectly except Google Chrome (Safari and Firefox both load and work properly).

I deleted Chrome from Applications, restarted the computer, downloaded the newest version of Chrome, but every time I try to launch it, it tries to open for about 30 seconds (I can go to History and try to restore my last session tabs, but it won't open them), and all it does is beachball spinning for about 20 seconds, and then the browser just quits and goes back down to the dock.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 10:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2023 4:43 PM

Whenever my MBP is booted from the Samsung SSD, Chrome will open for a few seconds, and then crash.

When my MBP is booted from my original HDD that is in an external enclosure, Chrome opens correctly

Why from one, but not the other?

2 replies

Oct 9, 2023 9:33 AM in response to jerrydpi

jerrydpi wrote:

I have a mid-2012 MBP i7 running 10.15.7, and I just replaced the HDD with a Samsung 870 EVO SSD.

All previous software/programs/browsers work perfectly except Google Chrome (Safari and Firefox both load and work properly).

I deleted Chrome from Applications, restarted the computer, downloaded the newest version of Chrome, but every time I try to launch it, it tries to open for about 30 seconds (I can go to History and try to restore my last session tabs, but it won't open them), and all it does is beachball spinning for about 20 seconds, and then the browser just quits and goes back down to the dock.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

I suspect the "newest" Chrome is not compatible with your old 2012 / 10.15.7....

if in doubt about your third party app— refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility /updates/uninstall:

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Google Chrome Help

How can I downgrade or switch to the old chrome version?

I would use what works.

Google Chrome won't stay open.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.