Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Photos import got stuck

Hi,

I am using Macbook M1 2021 running on the latest Sonoma OS. I have been importing 400 gb worth of media from my iphone to photos and now I'm on my last 1000 (I did batch by batch not all at once) and suddenly photos refuses to import any of the photos. I tried everything I can, I used the repair function on photos, reset the location and privacy setting on my iPhone. I even reset my NVRAM but nothing solves the issue. I still have around 600 gb free space on my mac. can someone please help me. I don't know what to do

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 2:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2024 9:16 PM

I've been trying to do the same for hours now and no progress. I dont know why it is so difficult, i mean the mac and iphone are trusted and it seems they don't know each other. I've tried restarting both and no luck. So frustrated that it makes me want to switch to PC and Android just to avoid this b.s. I get it, ya'll want the cloud, by the space. No, i want to use my own local space. unbelievable

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2024 9:16 PM in response to RRws9

I've been trying to do the same for hours now and no progress. I dont know why it is so difficult, i mean the mac and iphone are trusted and it seems they don't know each other. I've tried restarting both and no luck. So frustrated that it makes me want to switch to PC and Android just to avoid this b.s. I get it, ya'll want the cloud, by the space. No, i want to use my own local space. unbelievable

Oct 10, 2023 8:52 AM in response to Dorain1

Hi I downloaded the pictures and videos using the import feature on photos. When I try loading photos will show that is it importing the pictures but there is no progress even if I leave my laptop on for hours. I tried importing only one picture but that also failed. No progress whatsoever. It happened only after I have imported almost 370 gb worth of pictures and videos

Oct 10, 2023 7:06 AM in response to RRws9

Hi RRws9,

We'll be happy to see how we can help.

You have tried some good steps and thank you for sharing those. Have you tried shutting down and restarting both the iPhone and the Mac? If not, we recommend giving that a try. A simple step we know, but it does fix a lot of unusual issues that pop up.

You didn't mention how you were downloading the photos, but if you are using a cable connected to your Mac, have you tried a different port? A different cable?

If you are still unable to get the photos downloaded, let us know what happens when you try. Do you see an error message? If so what does it say?

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone or iPad to your Mac or PC - Apple Support

Good luck!

Apr 25, 2024 10:36 AM in response to RRws9

Are you able to download photos with Image Capture to a folder on the drive?

If you can can you import them from the folder into your library?

If importing from the folder doesn't work try opening one with Preview. If it opens OK try importing again to the library. If that fails try exporting from Preview as a new jpeg with a new name and try importing it.

Where is your library located - in the Picture folder?

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Apr 24, 2024 6:06 PM in response to RRws9

Same problem here.

MacOs Sonoma 14.4.1.

The import process gets stuck on random images. I have 50k images to transfer, but it's impossible to even get to 10 thousand.

Using Image Capture is not an option as it loses every edit done on iPhone.

It's unbelievable that such a simple task can become such a nightmare.

The Photos app is just unusable right now.

.. What have you done to it? It used to work like a charm.

Please address this.

Apr 25, 2024 11:09 AM in response to Old Toad

“Hi Old Toad,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I tried importing with Image Capture, but it won’t import any edits done on iPhone. It just imports the clean image, without any crop or color correction, which I would like to keep.

The Preview workaround wouldn’t work for me, as I am doing this whole import upon suggestion of Apple Support: my initial problem was that Photos doesn’t recognize a bunch of images that are on my phone and also aleeady imported into my photo library. Therefore, it creates a huge amount of duplicates (around 15k, which is quite unmanageable).

Changing the images’ names is not an option for me, as it would mess up the detection of duplicates.

No, I am not running any “cleaning,” “speeding up,” or VPN software. Actually, it’s a brand new MacBook Pro with almost nothing installed yet.

I really don’t know what to do. I was thinking of using third-party software such as Power Photo, but apparently, it can only help once the photos are imported. It seems that my only option is to import with the Photos app, unfortunately.

Do you have any other ideas?

Photos import got stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.