Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

iCloud Keychain and Passwords not working

Under Settings --> iCloud --> iCloud Passwords and Keychain "Sync this iPhone" is enabled.

But whenever i try to use passcode to sign in it redirects me back to this settings saying i have to turn it on.

When i try to toggle it on and off nothing is really happening.

If i toggle off and restarts phone it appears off, i then toggle on but it still seems like it isnt actually on.

On my macbook it works for the same apple/icloud id.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 6:15 AM

4 replies

Oct 10, 2023 8:24 AM in response to niclasl1984

Hey niclasl1984,

If this is only happening on your iPhone, we suggest making sure the software is updated to the latest version. Outdated software can cause things to misbehave:

1. "Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
  2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
  3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
  4. If you see more than one software update option available, choose the one that you want to install.
  5. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do."

An iPhone showing the option to download and install the update

-Update your iPhone or iPad

Should the behavior continue, contact Apple Support to look into this further with you.

Cheers!

Nov 8, 2023 11:42 PM in response to SnickZ.

Thanks for your help but it was finally my wife that resolved the issue.

I contacted Apple Support and they didn't find the solution but my wife suggested "Log out of iCloud and log in again" (on the phone).

And now it works!

Now also the screen time requests comes through on my iPhone. They stopped doing that after upgrading to iOS 17.

But now all seems good, I even used passkey to sign in here :-)

iCloud Keychain and Passwords not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.