Migrate a two partition Catalina to the latest macOS, Ventura?

I have Catalina latest version running on a 1012 MacBook Pro 2.7GHz Retina.

My boot drive is the internal 500GB SSD.

I Carbon Copy Cloner (latest paid version) the internal boot drive to a partition on a usb3 external drive.

My home folder that the SSD internal boot drive was accessing is also on the same external usb3 HD on a second partition.

-What is the method to migrate my usb3 two partition setup in Catalina to a the single 8TB partition on the internal SSD of a Macbook Pro running the latest macOS 15?

-What is the correct cable to plug a usb3 HD to the Thunderbolt4 ports on a 2023 16-inch MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max Chip with 12‑Core CPU and 38‑Core GPU?

-Can the 2023 16-inch MacBook Pro boot and run Catalina?

I really appreciate your help.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 7:31 PM

dgd wrote:

i currently run catalina on a 2012 macbook pro "15 retina booting from an external drive.
i want to know if I can boot a 16-inch MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max Chip with 12‑Core CPU and 38‑Core GPU from the an external catalina boot drive?

No.

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine

using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2023 7:31 PM in response to dgd

dgd wrote:

i currently run catalina on a 2012 macbook pro "15 retina booting from an external drive.
i want to know if I can boot a 16-inch MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max Chip with 12‑Core CPU and 38‑Core GPU from the an external catalina boot drive?

No.

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine

using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

Oct 9, 2023 7:41 PM in response to dgd

dgd wrote:

No. Catalina was released in 2019 and is Intel-only. The 16" M2 Max MBP was only released this year, 2023, and is Apple Silicon. It won't boot to Catalina.

However, you probably could connect the external Catalina drive and then run Migration Assistant on the new MBP in order to transfer users & data from it.

Oct 10, 2023 5:52 AM in response to dgd

Does a 2021 16-inch MacBook Pro Apple M1 Max Chip with 10‑Core CPU and 32‑Core GPU boot and run Catalina?

No. Catalina is too old and it only runs on Intel-based Macs. You have an Apple Silicon Mac.

I think Big Sur is the oldest macOS that can run on Apple Silicon. However, a Mac will only startup from a macOS version that it shipped with or newer. That is probably Monterey for that Mac, possibly Big Sur.

Why do you want to run Catalina on that Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.