Document folder empties after 12.7 Monterey update

Yesterday my Mac desktop auto-updated to Monterey 12.7. Now when I go to Finder, my Documents folder is totally empty when I access it via Home or when I access it via iCloud. I had all my docs organized by subject folders inside Documents. It looks like all the documents ended up in Recents but there's no way for me to know for sure. In Finder, if I search on a Documents Folder name, the named folder comes up along with any documents including those search words. Is there any way I can get all my Document folders back in Finder under Documents where they were before Monterey update?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 9:34 AM

Start with this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Do you have a Backup of any kind???

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2023 9:34 AM in response to bluebirdpc

Start with this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Do you have a Backup of any kind???

Oct 11, 2023 1:45 PM in response to bluebirdpc

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions... very important functions to sort things out on the ground floor to start with.:)

It woudn't make things worse unless things were about to go sideways anyway... no use securing the handle on the basket if the bottom is failing.

Document folder empties after 12.7 Monterey update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.