Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Does iMovie have allow users to save videos without having to use too much storage?

I am planning to film a few videos at my hometown’s football game this Friday, and I want to know if iMovie is either going to save the original files or the edited version of the videos that I take.

Also, how will storage space be affected with the edited videos?

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 4:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 8:07 PM

iMovie exports the edited versions. The size will be determined by the no. of bytes in the exported clips, and by the export settings that you choose. The higher the bitrate and quality, and the less compression, the larger the file size will be. Best Quality pro res will result in a file size 4x larger than if you had exported with the High Quality setting.

If the original clips were in a highly compressed format, iMovie may export them at a lesser compression (generally, a higher quality result) and thus a larger file size than the original footage.

— Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2023 8:07 PM in response to travelingwoman333

iMovie exports the edited versions. The size will be determined by the no. of bytes in the exported clips, and by the export settings that you choose. The higher the bitrate and quality, and the less compression, the larger the file size will be. Best Quality pro res will result in a file size 4x larger than if you had exported with the High Quality setting.

If the original clips were in a highly compressed format, iMovie may export them at a lesser compression (generally, a higher quality result) and thus a larger file size than the original footage.

— Rich

Does iMovie have allow users to save videos without having to use too much storage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.