Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

AppleTv thumbnails won't activate apps

Suddenly, both my AppleTvs are having the same problem. When I click on an app thumbnail in order to activate it, a small pop-up opens offering me the opportunity to "edit home screen", "add to folder", or "delete app". It's the kind of pop-up I'd expect to see if I pressed and held the button I normally just press to open the app.

But the apps won't open! I've tried unplugging the AppleTv for over a minute, but it didn't help. I can't go into Settings, because the Settings app behaves the same way!

Has anyone seen this behavior before? Any advice? Thank you!

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 6:53 PM

3 replies

Oct 10, 2023 2:08 PM in response to maestromaestro

Hi maestromaestro,

For help with the issue with your Apple TV remote, test cleaning the surface and around the buttons with the recommendations below found in the article here: How to clean your Apple products - Apple Support

"Apple products are made with a variety of materials, and each material might have specific cleaning requirements. To get started, here are some tips that apply to all products:

• Use only a soft, lint-free cloth. Avoid abrasive cloths, towels, paper towels, or similar items. 
  • Avoid excessive wiping, which might cause damage. 
  • Unplug all external power sources, devices, and cables.
  • Keep liquids away from the product, unless otherwise noted for specific products.
  • Don't get moisture into any openings.
  • Don't use aerosol sprays, bleaches, or abrasives.
  • Don't spray cleaners directly onto the item."

If the issue continues, try restarting the remote itself. You can find those steps below and in the article here: If your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote isn't working

"Restart your remote

Apple TV remotes with TV/Control Center button and Volume Down button highlighted in blue

If your remote still isn't working as expected, try restarting your remote.

1. Press and hold the TV/Control Center button  and the Volume Down button  at the same time. Hold the buttons down for about 5 seconds, or until the status light on your Apple TV turns off and on again.  
  2. Release the buttons. Then wait 5 to 10 seconds for a Connection Lost notification to appear on your TV screen.
  3. Wait while your remote restarts. When the Connected notification appears, you can use your remote."

If you continue to have an issue, reach out to Apple Support directly to further assist. Get Support

Cheers.

Oct 10, 2023 3:07 PM in response to maestromaestro

Hi maestromaestro,

Thanks for clarifying. The actions you're seeing happens when you press and hold the center button on Apple TV remote. If you have restarted both Apple TVs, try having someone else select the app to see whether they are able to replicate the same behavior. If not, restart and then test.

Restart Apple TV
Do any of the following:
* Press and hold both the Back  (Siri Remote 2nd generation or later) or  (Siri Remote 1st generation) and TV   buttons on the Siri Remote until the Apple TV status light blinks rapidly.
* Disconnect Apple TV from the power outlet, wait five seconds, then reconnect it.
* Open Settings  on Apple TV, go to System and select Restart.

Restart Apple TV - Apple Support

Regards.

Oct 10, 2023 2:59 PM in response to OrigamiFan1

Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately, I’m still in the same situation.

My problem isn’t with the remote. Perhaps I’m using the wrong terminology by calling the app icons on the home screen “thumbnails”. I am simply referring to those icons.

The bottom line is that clicking the app icon is not opening the app. Instead, it’s giving me the response I described above. Nothing seems to be helping. I’ll take any other input I can get!

AppleTv thumbnails won't activate apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.