You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro specs for 4k video editing

Good morning, I have been asked to source a computer (Macbook Pro) for a small film and media production company. The camera operator/photographer will be using Final Cut Pro and Adobe Photoshop. Their footage will be a mix of 1080HD and 4k and all storage will be on external drives, there will be very little on the computer itself.

I have my own Macbook Pro M1 Max, 12-core CPU, 38-core GPU, 32GB unified memory and 2TB SSD storage, which works like a dream and flies through my 4k editing.

The company does not want the top-range expense of my computer, but they do recognise the need for one that works very well to handle 4k footage. Because I only know mine, I'm not sure what to suggest for them, could anyone help with perhaps a step or two down from mine but still equally capable to run 4k and Final Cut (note: this is a film / photo editing computer only. It will not have much other software on it).

MacbookPro: M2 Pro or M2 Max ?

16" - yes

32GB memory - yes

1TB SSD storage - I think enough, considering all media will be on external drives.

CPU and GPU - options for 12CPU and 19 or 38 GPU

I have this one option to get them a really good usable computer but I know they do have a budget, so have to get them the best for the bucks, without compromising on speed and efficiency running 4k editing.

Many thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 2:49 AM

2 replies

Macbook Pro specs for 4k video editing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.