using a touchscreen monitor as an extended monitor for iMac

I bought a dell touchscreen monitor, P2424HT, trying to connect to iMac but the touchscreen doesn't work even after I installed the driver for OS. What did I miss?

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 6:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 3:16 AM

I have the P2424HT and it works well with my M2 Mac Mini, including multitouch. It appears that TouchBase (who are the experts in writing touchscreen drivers for MacOS) have been contracted by Dell to write the MacOS drivers for this monitor. It's a great outcome because their drivers are normally expensive, and now they are free for this screen.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2024 3:16 AM in response to DaisyBella

I have the P2424HT and it works well with my M2 Mac Mini, including multitouch. It appears that TouchBase (who are the experts in writing touchscreen drivers for MacOS) have been contracted by Dell to write the MacOS drivers for this monitor. It's a great outcome because their drivers are normally expensive, and now they are free for this screen.

Oct 10, 2023 7:44 AM in response to DaisyBella

a normal monitor video input signal is output from the computer only so one would assume that such a monitor would also have a usb or the like cable to act as an input device for the computer

if the manufacturer hasn't made a driver for macOS

or if some amateur enthusiast hasn't reverse-engineered the windows driver and made

their own macOS driver then it will never work

dell is just telling you to contact apple to get out of their hair, if apple as a big company began reverse-engineered dells intelectual properties software to make apple made drivers for dells hardware, then dell would likely take legal actions.

Oct 10, 2023 7:59 AM in response to DaisyBella

"their touchscreen works on windows..."

------

Dell sells Windows machines. Of course they will put the onus on Apple; they want you now to buy a Dell computer. ... it's in their vested interest to push that.

Dell also knows no Macs support touch screen, but you won't find that in their literature.

caveat emptor

using a touchscreen monitor as an extended monitor for iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.