You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What if you bought a used phone and it was unlocked but on this phone it had a software issue and it was necessary to do a hard reset now my current service no longer is accepted how do I go about fixing that issue it says my phone is carrier locked

What if you bought a used phone and it was unlocked but on this phone it had a software issue and it was necessary to do a hard reset now my current service no longer is accepted how do I go about fixing that issue it says my phone is carrier locked

Bought phone from a friend was not carrier locked when purchased. But became carrier locked again after hard reset do to software issue

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 6:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 7:30 PM

Xtrenm wrote:

So now what do I do is the phone junk then or what

The phone is carrier-locked.

You could ask the carrier if they will unlock it, so you can use it with a different carrier. They might do that. They might refuse. It's not up to us.

You could look into getting cellular service from that carrier. Maybe they'll refuse to remove the carrier lock - but will be happy to take your money for cellular voice, text message, and data service.

If the carrier refuses to unlock the phone … and you can't use them, or refuse to use them … then the phone will be useless as a cell phone. You might be able to use it as if it were an iPod touch – to do Web browsing using a Wi-Fi Internet connection; to run apps; to play music. But if it's carrier-locked, and you can't or won't use that carrier, that's the end of its cell phone days.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 10, 2023 7:30 PM in response to Xtrenm

Xtrenm wrote:

So now what do I do is the phone junk then or what

The phone is carrier-locked.

You could ask the carrier if they will unlock it, so you can use it with a different carrier. They might do that. They might refuse. It's not up to us.

You could look into getting cellular service from that carrier. Maybe they'll refuse to remove the carrier lock - but will be happy to take your money for cellular voice, text message, and data service.

If the carrier refuses to unlock the phone … and you can't use them, or refuse to use them … then the phone will be useless as a cell phone. You might be able to use it as if it were an iPod touch – to do Web browsing using a Wi-Fi Internet connection; to run apps; to play music. But if it's carrier-locked, and you can't or won't use that carrier, that's the end of its cell phone days.

Oct 10, 2023 7:39 PM in response to Xtrenm

I see that the Related Article about a different kind of lock (Activation Lock). That one's an anti-theft lock designed to make stolen or lost phones useless to thieves.

If what you have is an Activation Locked phone, it is a brick, unless your friend is the one who locked it, and is willing to release the lock. Carriers cannot remove Activation Lock.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.