IOS 17 upgrade - Photos Gone

I had an iPhone 11 (64 gb) and upgraded to an iPhone 14 (128 gb) on Monday morning. All my pictures, apps, etc. transferred over. Monday night I updated to the latest version of ios 17. This morning (Tuesday) all my pictures were gone. iCloud Photo synch is on and iCloud photo has no pictures. How can I get my pictures back? My old phone was wiped.

iPhone 14, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 8:21 PM

6 replies

Oct 10, 2023 8:32 PM in response to payal298

"IOS 17 upgrade - Photos Gone: I had an iPhone 11 (64 gb) and upgraded to an iPhone 14 (128 gb) on Monday morning. All my pictures, apps, etc. transferred over. Monday night I updated to the latest version of ios 17. This morning (Tuesday) all my pictures were gone. iCloud Photo synch is on and iCloud photo has no pictures. How can I get my pictures back? My old phone was wiped."

-------

Troubleshooting Lost Photos:

Loss of data is something you would have agreed to upon opening an Apple Account. So, if the following does not work, then they are gone. That's just the way it is :(

Five Tactics to Try:

A. Start here: If you're Missing Photos or Videos in the Photos app - Apple Support

B. Lock in "Recently Deleted":

Ever since iOS16 was released, there is a Recently Deleted folder. So, check that folder, found in the Photos app.

C. Check iCloud Directly:

See if they reside in iCloud Photos. Log in here: https://www.icloud.com/photos

D. Use a Time Machine Backup:

Did you backup your Mac, recently? If so, then restore your Mac from that. You'd backup you Mac prior to doing so, and then restore your data from the backup you just created, through use of Migration Assistant.

E. Where Else to Check:

• PC
  • PDA
  • eMail
  • Mac Device
  • Cloud Storage
  • Android Phone
  • USB Flash Drive
  • External Hard drive
  • Secure Digital Card
  • Compact Flash Card

Jun 4, 2024 12:54 AM in response to eucryphia

eucryphia Said:

I found out today that the upgrade had turned off visibility of personal photos, all I had to do on my phone was to go to the three dots in the top right and click on show both.

———-

Report this to Apple:

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know what exactly is occurring.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come. Apple will know nothing of this bug and your big fix, if you don’t report it to them.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that this all started after installing an update, and this bug fix you come across. Include the URL of this thread.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Oct 10, 2023 9:52 PM in response to payal298

Reply to payal298 ; Photos Missing After iOS 17 Upgrade

⚠️ I just want to thank you for the warning . I noticed that there are many posts related to missing info like music , notes , mail , contacts , iMessage etc. . I haven't yet installed the iOS 17 because I'm waiting for all of the problems to get resolved .

🖥️ For what it's worth , I have heard the same chatter about the Mac Sonoma update …

I'm going to wait awhile on that one too .

🤗

Oct 11, 2023 7:02 AM in response to SteelCityAnne

SteelCityAnne wrote:

Reply to payal298 ; Photos Missing After iOS 17 Upgrade

⚠️ I just want to thank you for the warning . I noticed that there are many posts related to missing info like music , notes , mail , contacts , iMessage etc. . I haven't yet installed the iOS 17 because I'm waiting for all of the problems to get resolved .

Every time there is a major update to an operating system, there are complaints. Mostly, it's because people haven't figured out something about the new system or, they blame everything that goes wrong on the new system. No, there is nothing unusual about the complaints for iOS 17 or Sonoma. Probably fewer than usual for Sonoma. Absolutely wait until you are comfortable updating but, don't wait because you think these are terrible updates. They are not.

IOS 17 upgrade - Photos Gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.