How can you disable the "smart" emoji suggestions (macOS Sonoma)

After updating to Sonoma, I noticed that macOS has changed the function of the "globe"/function key or CMD + Shift + Spacebar shortcut to summon a "smart" emoji picker with two or three suggested emoji.

Unfortunately, it usually guesses wrong, based on the last word I typed, which often isn't relevant to the emoji I'd to use. I find this annoying, and would rather have the globe key summon the "dumb" emoji picker like it did on Ventura, saving the step of clicking the down arrow every time.

I've already disabled inline typing suggestions and that didn't do the trick - is there another toggle somewhere to turn this off / go back to the "old" way?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 9:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2023 12:21 AM

Really want a way to disable this! The suggestions are almost always wrong, where as before it would take you to the search box and you could just type what you wanted.

Current "forced" suggestions is very disorienting by comparison.

30 replies

Jan 3, 2024 5:54 PM in response to kernelwilliams

Please remove this feature. It's janky and 20 steps backward in the wrong direction.

Every time I try to use an emoji it always fails. The wrong emojis pop up, and then when i try to show the full panel with another keystroke, the whole thing disappears.

The whole idea is to make us type emojis faster - not with extra clicks and buggy behaviors.

I'm not usually complaining about features, but this one is a strong contender for the most annoying award.

Nov 22, 2023 6:46 AM in response to kernelwilliams

+1 for this. I detest the emoji suggestions. The main reason it is broken for me is that I often want to use an emoji that is expressive of an emotion or entire sentence at the end of the sentence, but the emoji picker only suggests emoji for the last word typed. If you do the Ctrl + CMD + space shortcut twice, the full picker comes up, but why should I have to add another step? 😠 This should be optional.

Dec 5, 2023 3:41 PM in response to hugenerd

My frustration comes after initiating the "FREQUENTLY USED & FAVOURITES image.

To select the one I want, I have to double-click it, which is not a big deal, BUT trying to remove the suggestion box from the screen is a nightmare (for me).

The whole Mac interface is getting more WOKE and bloated with updates. I don't need ethnically appropriate emojis or animations & I wish there was a way to dumb it down.

Oct 12, 2023 8:58 AM in response to hugenerd

Personally, I will wait for the 14.1 Beta to drop or maybe the 14.x to drop before I will get on my Soap Box and contact Apple.

Though, have Pulled the Trigger on Mail application frequently take my e-mail account ( iCloud ) Off-Line for not apparent reason

Using Fibre Optic connection and all other web services are work just fine

How can you disable the "smart" emoji suggestions (macOS Sonoma)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.