I do not want my child photos to go to icloud, I want the photos she takes to stay only on her cell, how to turn off photos storing in icloud? The option is greyed out on her cell and I cant disable it on my account!

I do not want my child photos to go to icloud, I want the photos she takes to stay only on her cell, how to turn off photos storing in icloud? The option is greyed out on her cell and I cant disable it on my account!

Posted on Oct 11, 2023 12:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2023 9:31 AM

ok, for those ones looking for a solution, this is what worked for me. By the way, thanks to those that tried to help me through my frustrations with the process. I spent over 1 hour on a chat and 30 minutes on a call with screen sharing in both devices. We got to resolve it! Removing the screen time on your child's device from your device makes no difference. What you need to do (on IOS 17.0.3 and not on your account/phone but on your child's phone) is to go to

settings -> screen time -> content & privacy restrictions -> content and privacy restrictions(turn it off)

go back to settings-> photos -> icloud photos (disable it)

settings -> screen time -> content & privacy restrictions -> content and privacy restrictions(turn it on)

So simple it hurts it took this long to turn it off :) I hope this helps someone else.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2023 9:31 AM in response to manklar

ok, for those ones looking for a solution, this is what worked for me. By the way, thanks to those that tried to help me through my frustrations with the process. I spent over 1 hour on a chat and 30 minutes on a call with screen sharing in both devices. We got to resolve it! Removing the screen time on your child's device from your device makes no difference. What you need to do (on IOS 17.0.3 and not on your account/phone but on your child's phone) is to go to

settings -> screen time -> content & privacy restrictions -> content and privacy restrictions(turn it off)

go back to settings-> photos -> icloud photos (disable it)

settings -> screen time -> content & privacy restrictions -> content and privacy restrictions(turn it on)

So simple it hurts it took this long to turn it off :) I hope this helps someone else.

Oct 11, 2023 12:55 AM in response to manklar

I don't need to impose parental controls on my own phone, so I'm not extremely familiar with them. I am throwing out the following as food for thought.

If you are worried about your child's photos "staying only on her cell", disabling iCloud Photos is probably just one of your worries. The basic iCloud Photos is for syncing photos between devices using the same Apple ID – so she would need to give someone else her Apple ID and password for them to get at iCloud Photos from another device. If she's giving out her Apple ID and password, there are other things you need to worry about …

What if she

• Sent photos in iMessages or SMS/MMS messages?
  • Sent photos as attachments to e-mail?
  • Uploaded photos to social media sites, either using mobile Safari, or using dedicated apps for social media sites such as Facebook/Meta and X/Twitter?
  • Contributed photos to an iCloud Shared Photo Library?
  • and so on, and so forth?

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

I think there may be parental controls that would let you restrict some of the features on her phone; e.g., specifically denying access to her photos to most of her apps, on an app-by-app basis – and locking down restriction changes, so that requires a passcode that you know, and she doesn't.

Also: Be aware that iPhones normally attach information about where a picture was taken, to the picture. This can be a great convenience when organizing your own photo library, but you might not always want others to have that information. The Export options in the Mac version of Photos have a checkbox that you can use to determine if you want pictures exported from your Photos Library to contain this hidden information.

Oct 11, 2023 1:33 AM in response to KaeBFly

Thanks for the help, I am aware not everyone here is paid, I just get frustrated on the people here telling me something else but what you just asked (food for thought).

I just setup her cellphone, she has no screen limits (yet), it shows greyed out like, grey out as she cant change it, it still shows on, a greyed out on. I will attach the screen shots displaying what I am saying as the picture may make more sense than my explanation . the shared album I set it up trying to see if that would enable me on my phone to remove it somehow. I has not made a difference.

Oct 11, 2023 1:06 AM in response to Servant of Cats

I didn't come here to give answers to questions of a possible what if she. I asked a question, you do not have an answer? ok, let it be, I do not care about your possible outcomes. I am trying to be nice but I have asked questions before and the answers I get is pay for this or for that or what ifs. I have my daughter phone lock down to message me or my wife, that is it, she cant add or remove contacts, she cant update them, no social media apps in it, no email account setup there, no icloud share without my auth and so forth. Now do you or do you not have an answer. I wish apple had a not helpful button

Thanks for the link but the link has no info about my question.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.