A17 pro chip

Does A17 chip being almost equivalent to a laptop?Im thinking this might cause the problem to overheat more than usual. i asked a friend who is a computer programmer. Also on the other hand the software update causes also other iphones than 15 ,15PM to overheat. what are the thoughts ?You believe this is a software issue?

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 11, 2023 3:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2023 9:57 AM

If you don't see a temperature alert your iPhone is probably not malfunctioning. I don't remember the working range for temperature, but design specification is almost certainly higher than you expect. An important sales area for Apple is Middle East where outside temperatures are routinely above 40˚C and everything feels hot to touch. If they can work in Kuwait and Saudi heat then almost anywhere else in the world will be easy.

I suggest trying to get some clues which apps are the battery hogs, because they will be responsible for a lot of the heat generation. (Battery usage = power used = heat generated). A look at the battery usage statistics in Settings/Battery might be a good place to start, along with your impression of which apps seem to be most greedy. Hint: Some of the social media apps have attracted attention in the past for excessive battery usage, so they might be a good place to start looking.

Heat generation during charging is normal and expected as a consequence of basic physics if it simply gets warm. If it gets hot (too hot to hold, think like a coffee mug) then you might have a problem. Your observation of reduced heat above 80% charge is also expected because the charging sequence usually runs faster (more heat) when charge is lower then backs off as it approaches the final charge level. You might also be seeing the result of Optimized Charging, which can learn your usage pattern and try to reduce stress on the battery.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2023 9:57 AM in response to styliana114

If you don't see a temperature alert your iPhone is probably not malfunctioning. I don't remember the working range for temperature, but design specification is almost certainly higher than you expect. An important sales area for Apple is Middle East where outside temperatures are routinely above 40˚C and everything feels hot to touch. If they can work in Kuwait and Saudi heat then almost anywhere else in the world will be easy.

I suggest trying to get some clues which apps are the battery hogs, because they will be responsible for a lot of the heat generation. (Battery usage = power used = heat generated). A look at the battery usage statistics in Settings/Battery might be a good place to start, along with your impression of which apps seem to be most greedy. Hint: Some of the social media apps have attracted attention in the past for excessive battery usage, so they might be a good place to start looking.

Heat generation during charging is normal and expected as a consequence of basic physics if it simply gets warm. If it gets hot (too hot to hold, think like a coffee mug) then you might have a problem. Your observation of reduced heat above 80% charge is also expected because the charging sequence usually runs faster (more heat) when charge is lower then backs off as it approaches the final charge level. You might also be seeing the result of Optimized Charging, which can learn your usage pattern and try to reduce stress on the battery.

Oct 11, 2023 3:41 AM in response to styliana114

All I can tell you is that I have the iPhone 15 Pro Max with the A17 chipset, and it has behaved perfectly since the first moment I powered up out of the box. The only times it has even become slightly warm have been caused by heat transferred from the MagSafe charging puck, and once when I used it as a hotspot for a 15 Gigabyte download (20 minutes) to my MacBook. The phone was warm rather than hot, and even when fast charged with a USB-C cable (faster than MagSafe) it does not get hot. Otherwise it has remained cool in routine use and I have no complaints whatsoever.

The various reports suggest that there were heat problems with a few software apps, but it seems these have mostly been resolved with updates for the iPhone software and the apps concerned. There might be a few more problems waiting to be discovered, but they will get resolved the same way.

Oct 11, 2023 3:46 AM in response to Branta_uk

your statement makes sense. My 15 PM

doesnt get hot to the point that message of overheating appears. But it concerns me that battery drains easily and it gets warm on normal use(scrolling,instagram etc). i have updated to iOS 17.0.3 but its the same as before. when charging it gets warm until goes to 80%.then it cools off. Im hoping that with a new update problem will be fixed

A17 pro chip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.