Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Disable all incoming contact posters

I personally find this new feature awful - I don't want the ability for someone to control, without me opting in / accepting, what their contact information looks like on my phone. I know I can revert an individual contact, and I know I can disable my outgoing poster. I would really like to be able to have a setting that disables all incoming contact posters and makes them opt-in, similar to the previous functionality ("person A has an updated name/photo available" with an option to update or ignore).

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 11, 2023 5:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2023 9:18 AM

I also completely despise this misfeature. There’s a multitude of things very wrong with it.

It should be opt in (both sending and receiving), but it’s (in a very clumsy way) opt out, and very, very difficult to figure out how.

It is, AFAICT, impossible to create a new contact with the old style contact photo or even update the old style contact photo in an existing contact. There was nothing wrong with the old contact photo setup, it was optional and you didn’t have to accept contact photos from other people if you didn’t want to. So I’m currently stuck with a contact photo that I don’t want and had planned to update as soon as I had a photo on my phone that I liked, but now I can’t change my (old style) contact photo without creating one of these abominable poster things.

This whole thing is a mess of badly designed UI. I cannot believe Apple created this nonsense. It is obnoxious and visually unappealing to me how the poster takes up the whole screen. It’s also not at all business-friendly. It has a very unprofessional look, and it’s also a bit of a security issue in a business setting… or any setting where you don’t want everyone able to see who is calling you.

There needs to be fine grained settings for this stuff. Posters are fine for people who want them, but for everyone else they are simply terrible.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2023 9:18 AM in response to Kr222

I also completely despise this misfeature. There’s a multitude of things very wrong with it.

It should be opt in (both sending and receiving), but it’s (in a very clumsy way) opt out, and very, very difficult to figure out how.

It is, AFAICT, impossible to create a new contact with the old style contact photo or even update the old style contact photo in an existing contact. There was nothing wrong with the old contact photo setup, it was optional and you didn’t have to accept contact photos from other people if you didn’t want to. So I’m currently stuck with a contact photo that I don’t want and had planned to update as soon as I had a photo on my phone that I liked, but now I can’t change my (old style) contact photo without creating one of these abominable poster things.

This whole thing is a mess of badly designed UI. I cannot believe Apple created this nonsense. It is obnoxious and visually unappealing to me how the poster takes up the whole screen. It’s also not at all business-friendly. It has a very unprofessional look, and it’s also a bit of a security issue in a business setting… or any setting where you don’t want everyone able to see who is calling you.

There needs to be fine grained settings for this stuff. Posters are fine for people who want them, but for everyone else they are simply terrible.

Mar 5, 2024 11:39 AM in response to stelios98

In a business environment, the Contact Poster feature needs an Opt-out option, i.e, it is now impossible to read a short message on the iPhone or on the Apple Watch at a glance without having to scroll down to read a simple yes or no reply/message. We need to be able to disable this feature, not the other way around. Sadly, it letting our contact control our own device. This is unacceptable.

Nov 20, 2023 9:49 AM in response to stelios98

stelios98 wrote:

I strongly agree that this feature might create uncomfortable scenarios, and it's vital for Apple users, myself included, to have the option to disable it. Picture being in a professional meeting when a friend with an unusual photo calls – it's something I personally wouldn't want others to witness.

Tell Apple:

Product Feedback - Apple

Meanwhile, while in a meeting, enable Focus on your phone or keep it face down on the table.

Mar 5, 2024 1:07 PM in response to Boula888

Boula888 wrote:

In a business environment, the Contact Poster feature needs an Opt-out option, i.e, it is now impossible to read a short message on the iPhone or on the Apple Watch at a glance without having to scroll down to read a simple yes or no reply/message. We need to be able to disable this feature, not the other way around. Sadly, it letting our contact control our own device. This is unacceptable.

Tell Apple:

Product Feedback - Apple

May 8, 2024 10:59 AM in response to dmriggs

dmriggs wrote:

Try this:

Open your Contacts app and select your card at the top of the list.
Tap Contact Photo & Poster, then toggle off Name & Photo Sharing.
If you tap the Back button to go back to your contact card, the Contact Photo & Poster button should say "Disabled."

That's good advice, if someone wants to cancel their own Contact Poster. It doesn't however, address what people are saying they don't like, which is to turn off the contact posters of incoming calls. There is no way to stop someone else's contact poster from displaying as the user who is calling wants their poster to look like.

Jan 21, 2024 12:26 PM in response to milliefromnorcross

milliefromnorcross wrote:

Can’t stand the posters- please get rid of them. I need a new phone soon, will not buy another iPhone if I had to deal with this.

I'm not sure why you're asking me to get rid of them. I have no ability to do that. Nor do I particularly care what phone you buy next.

You can let Apple know what you'd like to see here:

Product Feedback - Apple

May 9, 2024 12:16 PM in response to Boula888

I agree with many of the people on the issue with opt in or out for the contact poster picture/info why would you let our contacts control our phones this is the dumbest update apple has came up with I may not like the picture they chose for themselves it’s just not fair we pay or bills to be able to control our phone the way we want it this is not a upgrade this is a downgrade Apple get with the program this is the 20th Century we’re suppose to be moving forward with technology not backwards my contacts may think there picture is cute but it’s not to my eyes please fix this issue it’s not fair to the owner of the phone I’m so unhappy with this and it’s so unprofessional on apples part I should not have to ask my contact permission to switch the old picture back that I chose for that contact

Disable all incoming contact posters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.