Mouse lag from extended display to MacBook

OS - Sonoma; MacBook Air M2; Display - LG Ultra HD (set at 60 Hertz)

When moving from the MacBook to the extended display, there are no problems with smooth transition between screens; however, the reverse is most-often not the case. Usually, the pointer gets stuck at the edge of the display. If I keep trying, it eventually jumps back to the MacBook but is hard to find -- I just keep moving it until I see movement. Typically, it shows up down in the dock area.

I have tried both a USB mouse, Magic Mouse, and a third bluetooth mouse. The behavior is identical regardless of the mouse used. I have tried adjusting the mouse speed. Thought that was helping but the problem resumed. At times, it all just freezes up and the pointer doesn't move at all.

MacBook Air, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2023 7:53 PM

It's not an issue with your mouse or keyboard, it's the OS and/or how it works with the monitor. Have the same issue with my mac studio. I had it 'mostly' resolved with the previous OS. And some resolutions, I would get no latency on my third, extended monitor. That said, this was only after returning the computer, having them completely wipe it, test it, and for it to come back completely fine. I tried 5 different mice, different displays, different keyboards, etc.

I just updated to Sonoma and now can't get rid of it, again. This is extremely frustrating.

Even beyond that, the display arrangement keeps changing. Restart? Changes. Goes to sleep? Changes. Adjust the monitor resolution? Changes.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2023 7:53 PM in response to ChezGLK

It's not an issue with your mouse or keyboard, it's the OS and/or how it works with the monitor. Have the same issue with my mac studio. I had it 'mostly' resolved with the previous OS. And some resolutions, I would get no latency on my third, extended monitor. That said, this was only after returning the computer, having them completely wipe it, test it, and for it to come back completely fine. I tried 5 different mice, different displays, different keyboards, etc.

I just updated to Sonoma and now can't get rid of it, again. This is extremely frustrating.

Even beyond that, the display arrangement keeps changing. Restart? Changes. Goes to sleep? Changes. Adjust the monitor resolution? Changes.

May 7, 2024 2:00 AM in response to ChezGLK

So this worked for me, with the same exact issue, on the iPad as the extended screen:

1. Restart both MacBook and iPad.
  2. On MacBook: Settings > Displays > Mirror or extend to (drop down) > Select the iPad

Essentially, the fix is that you initiate screen extension from the settings app and not the Screen Mirroring button in Control Centre.

Mouse lag from extended display to MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.