URLs with the type "file" not supported

My iMac continues to get pop-ups that state There was a problem connecting to the server. I have attached a picture of the pop-up

iMac 21.5″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2024 8:13 AM

I did this and it sees to have worked as well!! But the strange thing is that the com.apple.TimeMachine.plist file that I deleted was only four days old. It must have been updated with the latest OS update (Sonoma 14.5), but this has been going on for much longer than that.

It used to be that with an OS update, this would disappear for a while, but if I had to reboot, it came back. But with the last two OS updates, it didn't disappear.

Hopefully, it doesn't return. I think it's ridiculous that Apple doesn't know about this and doesn't fix it.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2024 8:13 AM in response to jamesrobert66

I did this and it sees to have worked as well!! But the strange thing is that the com.apple.TimeMachine.plist file that I deleted was only four days old. It must have been updated with the latest OS update (Sonoma 14.5), but this has been going on for much longer than that.

It used to be that with an OS update, this would disappear for a while, but if I had to reboot, it came back. But with the last two OS updates, it didn't disappear.

Hopefully, it doesn't return. I think it's ridiculous that Apple doesn't know about this and doesn't fix it.

Nov 21, 2023 1:18 PM in response to brn2rnjk1

Personally, I fixed it by disabling some "Allow in the Background" items and restarting. I think, but I'm not positive, that the one that actually stopped the obnoxious behavior was OSMessageTracer. I don't know where that item originally came from, but disabling it seems to have worked, and it hasn't been an issue for me for almost 3 weeks now. If you don't have that item listed, you might have something else that's running in the background that's the culprit.

URLs with the type "file" not supported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.