Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

MacBook Pro freezes

My M1 16" MacBook Pro will randomly freeze. All I'm doing at the time is watching YouTube on Firefox. no other apps open.

When this happens the trackpad depresses itself so you can't click it anymore. Curser and screen freeze. Then a few seconds later the computer crashes and restarts. Then everything works fine.

I heard a tiny pop tonight before it did it. This is now the 5th time this week that it's done this. The only time I've heard the pop.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 10:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2023 5:33 PM

Pats4Lyfe Said:

"MacBook Pro freezes: None that helped. I did all of that and it just did it again a few minutes ago. There's a little pop sound right before it happens. Not a computer sound (through the speakers), but a physical sound that some part of the computer is making."

-------

Seems you've got hardware damage. So, get this Mac serviced, ASAP:

A. Apple Stores:

Set up a Genius Bar Appointment at your local Apple Store. If an earlier model, this may not be an option. So, you'd have to take this to your local AASP. See (B.) below.

also...

B. Contact an AASP:

Another option might be to contact an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider). See what services that offer for this.

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the Mac

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2023 5:33 PM in response to Pats4Lyfe

Pats4Lyfe Said:

"MacBook Pro freezes: None that helped. I did all of that and it just did it again a few minutes ago. There's a little pop sound right before it happens. Not a computer sound (through the speakers), but a physical sound that some part of the computer is making."

-------

Seems you've got hardware damage. So, get this Mac serviced, ASAP:

A. Apple Stores:

Set up a Genius Bar Appointment at your local Apple Store. If an earlier model, this may not be an option. So, you'd have to take this to your local AASP. See (B.) below.

also...

B. Contact an AASP:

Another option might be to contact an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider). See what services that offer for this.

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the Mac

Oct 12, 2023 11:11 PM in response to Pats4Lyfe

Pats4Lyfe Said:

"MacBook Pro freezes: My M1 16" MacBook Pro will randomly freeze. All I'm doing at the time is watching YouTube on Firefox. no other apps open."

-------

Troubleshooting a Frozen Mac:

A. Try Safe Mode:

In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Wait: 30 seconds
  4. Restart; your Mac
  5. Log in: as same user

B. See if your Hard drive is Failing:

What to Try:

1. Boot: into Recovery Mode.
  2. Select: Disk Utility
  3. Select: the Drive
  4. Click: First Aid button

C. Remove Login Items:

While in Safe Mode, remove all of your Login Items, and then restart the Mac.  Go Here: Change Users & Groups Login Items Preferences on Mac - Apple Support

MacBook Pro freezes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.