You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best Way to Make a Windows 11 Bootable USB on Mac Sonoma?

My father's Windows 11 laptop can't boot after installing the latest system update. He asked me to reinstall Windows 11 on it. I did this a few years ago with the bootcamp assistant app. However, I am unable to find the app on my MacBook Air M1 running the latest macOS Sonoma 14.0. It turns out bootcamp is removed from Apple Silicon Mac.

Now, my question is what is the best way to create a Windows 11 bootable USB on Mac Sonoma?

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 11:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 12:01 AM

As far as I know, UUByte iso editor is the best app to make Windows bootable USB on Mac. This is largely true after Apple removed the Bootcamp app from Apple Silicon Mac. I have been using this app for more than one year and helped me created a couple of Windows 10 and Windows 11 bootable USB drives. Most importantly, it is still running well on my M1 Mac with Sonoma 14.0.

The steps are quite simple. Download Windows 11 ISO, connect a USB drive and fire up the app. That is! You will get a Windows 11 bootable USB in less than 15 minutes. You can check the online tutorial to create a Windows 11 bootable on Mac:

https://www.uubyte.com/online-help/iso-editor.html

Here is the screenshot taken from my Mac:

Let me know when you need help for using this app.

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 16, 2023 12:01 AM in response to danaccmaker

As far as I know, UUByte iso editor is the best app to make Windows bootable USB on Mac. This is largely true after Apple removed the Bootcamp app from Apple Silicon Mac. I have been using this app for more than one year and helped me created a couple of Windows 10 and Windows 11 bootable USB drives. Most importantly, it is still running well on my M1 Mac with Sonoma 14.0.

The steps are quite simple. Download Windows 11 ISO, connect a USB drive and fire up the app. That is! You will get a Windows 11 bootable USB in less than 15 minutes. You can check the online tutorial to create a Windows 11 bootable on Mac:

https://www.uubyte.com/online-help/iso-editor.html

Here is the screenshot taken from my Mac:

Let me know when you need help for using this app.

Oct 13, 2023 11:28 AM in response to danaccmaker

I've tried multiple options in the past without success ever since the one Windows file grew larger than 4GB. I recently stumbled across a simple method that may work. It requires using two USB sticks. Mount the Windows' .iso file by double-clicking it.

Erase one USB stick as MBR partition and FAT32 (msdos) and the other as MBR partition and exFAT.

Copy all the files from the mounted .iso file to the USB stick formatted with exFAT. You also want to copy all the files in the mounted .iso file, but exclude the "Source" folder. Once completed, eject both USB sticks (give them a minute before physically disconnecting them just to make sure the file buffers are flushed.

Connect the FAT32 USB stick to the computer and boot to the computer's boot picker menu. If you see an option to boot the USB stick with the Windows' installer, then plug in the second USB stick formatted as exFAT. Now select the Windows' installer boot option to see if it will proceed properly. Most computers need to boot from a FAT32 drive which is why two USB sticks is critical. The article I read mentioned that when the installer needs the items from the "Source" folder that the installer is able to locate them on the second USB stick formatted as exFAT. I guess you could try booting just the exFAT USB stick just in case the computer's firmware is able to boot from an exFAT drive.

I've never tried this option, but at least it doesn't require any third party software. I saw the Sysgeeker app before, but was hesitant to try or recommend it since there is no other mention of it anywhere.

Oct 14, 2023 2:08 AM in response to danaccmaker

Greating a Windows 11 bootable USB on a Mac Sonoma is not as easy as creating one on Windows computer and can easily fail.

I've used the terminal before, but it wasn't ideal. As a command line application only supports text commands, so the user must know the command line well. In comparison, UUByte ISO Editor does a good job in this regard, and it can work for you even if you know nothing about creating Windows bootable USB on Mac Sonoma.

Oct 15, 2023 7:16 PM in response to danaccmaker

Apple-Silicon-based Macs use a completely different kind of machine code than Intel-based Macs and PCs. Even if Apple were to introduce Boot Camp for Apple Silicon Macs in a future macOS release, the only OSes that you could install that way would be ARM-based ones, like Windows 11 for ARM.

If you do find a way to create a bootable Windows 11 USB drive for an Intel-based PC, keep in mind that there will be no way to test it on an Apple-Silicon-based Mac. You'll need to test it on an actual Intel-based machine.

Best Way to Make a Windows 11 Bootable USB on Mac Sonoma?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.