Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

iPhone photos too punchy

On my 13 pro max and now my 15 pro max, how can I turn off any enhancement of the photos?

They are waaaaay too poppy. Whites blast you away. Images practically glow. It’s hideous.

Also, how do I turn off HDR? That’s a nightmare for motion blur with macros. There’s used to be a button I could tap to turn it off picture by picture, but now it seems to be gone?

Also, please consider adding manual focus and ISO adjustments to the native app. Oh…and the ability to “lock” a lens so the camera stops trying to determine what I’m doing and keeps switching on me.

Posted on Oct 13, 2023 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2023 2:41 PM

iPhone camera basics - Apple Support

Use iPhone camera tools to set up your shot - Apple Support

Change advanced camera settings on iPhone - Apple Support

Just a few of the many links that may be helpful. Playing with the settings will likely get you to where you want things to be but when in doubt reading through the online manual may help find specifics you’re looking for.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2023 2:41 PM in response to Margaret Glasscock

iPhone camera basics - Apple Support

Use iPhone camera tools to set up your shot - Apple Support

Change advanced camera settings on iPhone - Apple Support

Just a few of the many links that may be helpful. Playing with the settings will likely get you to where you want things to be but when in doubt reading through the online manual may help find specifics you’re looking for.

Oct 13, 2023 2:34 PM in response to Margaret Glasscock

I'm using a 14 Pro under iOS 17, but I would imagine the settings will be pretty much the same as on your phones.

I had originally purchased a regular 14, but the color on all shots were oversaturated, and there weren't enough controls. I sent that back after a couple of days of testing and got the Pro model. Much, much better. After going through the settings and testing to see what does what, I now get photos and video where the color on my Mac matches what I was looking at.

Try these:

Settings > Camera

Photographic Styles - make sure it's on Standard so the phone isn't trying to stylize the captured image.

Formats - I have High Efficiency turned on. Important, turn on ProRAW & Resolution Control. The choice under that then activates. Tap Pro Default and set it to ProRAW Max. This makes a huge difference in how the phone manages color. Also turn on Apple ProRes so the same type of advanced color management is applied to your videos.

The ability to lock the lens is already there. Don't just tap to pick a focal point, tap and hold. A yellow AE/AF Lock box will appear, showing that your focal point won't change. Once locked, if the scene is too bright or dark, slide your finger up or down next to the focus box to change the exposure.

iPhone photos too punchy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.