Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Seagate External Drive

I can not transfer files to my Seagate external drive. Format: Windows NT File System (NTFS)

Posted on Oct 14, 2023 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2023 9:14 AM

Bob_O_link wrote:

How do I reformat the drive? This drive worked fine on my older MacBook computer.

Thanks for your help.

It likely worked on your older computer because you installed a third party app to interface with the ntfs formatted drive. Use Disk Utility to format the external drive. Again, when you format the drive all existing data on the drive will be gone.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2023 9:14 AM in response to Bob_O_link

Bob_O_link wrote:

How do I reformat the drive? This drive worked fine on my older MacBook computer.

Thanks for your help.

It likely worked on your older computer because you installed a third party app to interface with the ntfs formatted drive. Use Disk Utility to format the external drive. Again, when you format the drive all existing data on the drive will be gone.

Oct 14, 2023 9:14 AM in response to Bob_O_link

For about $20 Paragon software has a utility that allows Mac to read and write to NTFS drives. I think Microsoft owns it now. Is it possible that you had this on your older MacBook?

https://www.paragon-software.com/us/home/ntfs-mac/

To reformat a drive on Mac, you'll use the Disk Utility app.

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Seagate External Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.