Apple TV remote not controlling volume on receiver

My Apple TV is connected to my LG tv via a Yamaha receiver. It suddenly stopped controlling the volume. I have reset the Apple TV and disconnected/reconnected the remote to no avail. I have also tried different types of connections for the remote. Still no volume control. Not sure why that one function stopped working.

OLED65B8PUA,

Posted on Oct 14, 2023 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2023 6:01 AM

Try restarting just the remote, as described in: If the volume buttons on your Apple TV remote aren't working - Apple Support

Verify the Volume Control configuration on Apple TV:

Settings﹥Remotes and Device﹥Volume Control﹥

﹥Auto (default) (use one of the other options if Auto doesn’t work for you)

﹥HDMI (for receivers that support volume control over CEC)

﹥Receiver via IR

﹥TV via IR

﹥Off

﹥Learn New Device (for audio equipment that wants non-standard IR volume control signals)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2023 6:01 AM in response to Shariz32

Try restarting just the remote, as described in: If the volume buttons on your Apple TV remote aren't working - Apple Support

Verify the Volume Control configuration on Apple TV:

Settings﹥Remotes and Device﹥Volume Control﹥

﹥Auto (default) (use one of the other options if Auto doesn’t work for you)

﹥HDMI (for receivers that support volume control over CEC)

﹥Receiver via IR

﹥TV via IR

﹥Off

﹥Learn New Device (for audio equipment that wants non-standard IR volume control signals)

Oct 16, 2023 2:19 AM in response to Shariz32

I am not seeing an option for Receiver via IR.

Then I suppose it is not recognizing any receiver in the setup. Is the Yamaha in between the Apple TV box and the TV in their HDMI connections?

If the issue persists, and unless someone else chimes in with a new idea, I would suggest to contact an expert from the Apple Support staff for further assistance. Contact Apple for support and service (phone numbers) or start your support request online (chat/​email/​callback).

Apple TV remote not controlling volume on receiver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.