Macbook won't recognize SONY DCR VX2000 Handicam

I'm trying to get the footage off my minidv tape with my SONY DCR VX2000 Handicam. I bought the right connectors (firewire cable, firewire to thunderbolt2, thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3) but when I plug my camera in to my Mac, it won't show up.

My camera is turned on and set to VCR mode, I've reminded the tape to the top of the footage where I want to begin my capture, but I can't even start the capture until I figure out why the camera won't show up as connected.

Please help!!

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 15, 2023 7:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2023 8:49 AM

Sony suggests connecting this cam corder via USB and that would require Apple's USB to USB-C cable for your MBP. You then set the camera to Mass Storage or USB mode.

Sony also had this caveat about older versions of iMovie that may or may not have been resolved in the current Sonoma iMovie:

Apple's TB3 to TB2 adapter cable does not transmit any bus power, and that may or may not be an issue with your current recognition of the Handicam on Sonoma.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2023 8:49 AM in response to meanjean23

Sony suggests connecting this cam corder via USB and that would require Apple's USB to USB-C cable for your MBP. You then set the camera to Mass Storage or USB mode.

Sony also had this caveat about older versions of iMovie that may or may not have been resolved in the current Sonoma iMovie:

Apple's TB3 to TB2 adapter cable does not transmit any bus power, and that may or may not be an issue with your current recognition of the Handicam on Sonoma.

Macbook won't recognize SONY DCR VX2000 Handicam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.