You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset Mac Mini to factory default settings

I have bought a new Mac Mini, and transferred everything I want to it from my previous MacMini.

The old one is about 2012 I think and has mac os 12.6.8 on it. I have found instructions on how to boot it into recovery mode, and erase the drive and then to install the operating system again, prior to passing it on to a new owner.

My question is which OS will it install ? The one it has on at present, or the one it originally came with which I think was Mavericks, or will it try to install the latest that is compatible?

And do I need to be connected to the internet for it to download the operating system?

Please if anyone can advise, I would be grateful. Thanks.

Mac mini, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 15, 2023 2:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 7:57 AM

or does that choice depend on which set of keys I use at the start?

Yes, depends upon which key sequence you start with, but all should get you to DU.:)

Ruth,I'd go with...

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac

5 replies

Oct 15, 2023 8:43 PM in response to Ruth N

You can choose which OS it instals to a degree..

Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later… How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Oct 16, 2023 1:05 AM in response to BDAqua

@BDAqua. Thank you, that's very helpful.

I have not yet erased the Mac Mini hard drive, so I presume that it is important to choose the correct key combination at the start to boot into Recovery mode. The Mac OS Utilities screen allows you to go from Disk Utility (to do the erasing) to Reinstall MacOS, without shutting down between these two stages.

When I get to that point, will it then give me choices of operating system, or does that choice depend on which set of keys I use at the start?

Or, do I shut it down after erasing, and reboot with the right key combination?

As a bit more background info, the old Mini is not at present connected to power or my Display, as I'm using my new Mac Mini. So I'm working from memory - I think that the old machine last had Mojave on it, but I might have upgraded it to Monterey before I bought the new one.

Would your advice be to go for the OS that was on it most recently, or the latest compatible?

Thank you in advance, Ruth N

Oct 16, 2023 1:05 PM in response to BDAqua

Ok Thank you. All very helpful. Just hope it goes smoothly.

I've fired it up, it has Monterey on it, and there is a Monterey update waiting. So I think that's the last OS that will work, as otherwise I think it would be offering me Ventura.

I will do the update first before erasing. Seems a bit silly but it might mean it re-installs Monterey with the updates included. I want to make it as saleable as possible.

So thank you again. I will mark your answers accordingly.

Reset Mac Mini to factory default settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.